Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Massive widespread drought - impact on you

There are other threads on this subject, but I want to start one too.
Who here has been impacted by this massive drought that has spread across a fair bit of the nation? How much do you figure it to hit your bottom line?

We have gone 3 weeks without rain now, lawns are at least 70% dormant (unwatered ones). My last weekly cutting schedule for my whole route was two weeks ago. Only cut about 2/3's of the lawns last week, and from now until rain comes, will probably be every other week (or less on a few) just to knock down weeds and quackgrass, etc. If this dry streak goes on too long, its bound to affect my 4th round late summer apps too (hoping not).

As far as impact, since I got essentially a whole extra month of mowing in due to the early spring (April), that ought to buffer some of the impact of this crap weather. If the drought extends, I will be down a few cuts for the season. May hit me in the order of 3-5% of revenue, really not sure yet.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Ass! thats what I'm losing!!!! It's been 3 weeks since I've mowed some of my weekly stuff...and they are predicting highs of 100-105 next week...yeah!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with ya friend. It's maybe not as bad here but the future is not looking bright. Already we've had 2+ weeks of 100+ temps with no rain. Finally got a small rain over the weekend so it will help slightly. I still hate waiting for rain just so the yards will perk up for 2 or 3 days, even then it's mostly weeds that grow.

We've got cracks in our yards you could lose a baby in. Fortunately most guys around here got there wheat in before the hail storms. Bumper crops for many which is a blessing after last years disaster.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

First, we had that thing they called winter, which we lost our asses on bigtime, now, it hasn't rained in like 3 weeks, mowers haven't moved in 20 days.
We're due, this winter better be freaking brutal
Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mixed bag of resi's and commercial. About half of the residentials water but even the watering is slow here due to the economy and possible water restrictions that are sure to come. My commercial accounts total 11 and none of them irrigate of fert and squirt so they havent been touched in 3 weeks. Im going out tomorrow to do some general maintenance and knock down some buckhorn that is absolutely rediculous this year. As of june 1 im losing aprox...4grand per month with this weather. And to make matters worse i just bought a new z! Got a great deal that i wouldnt pass up even if i went out of biz but still it would be nice to be able to recoup from that purchase. Spring arrived about 3 weeks early here so that helped but it just made up for the winter or lack there of. It is bad here. Ive had maybe 1/2" of rain or less in the last month and a half with consistent 90+ temps reaching an almost all time high this past weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im loving it! weekly year round contracts equal me showing up every week and cutting no grass. the damn heat has been BRUTAL in georgia for the past 2 weeks however (like all heat waves) its come to an end the the rain has started... now my lawns are going to spring to life and start growing again. This year has been great, mild winter made my landscape installs go very smooth and the early spring brought a ton of customers. Here in georgia im loving some global warming

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
im loving it! weekly year round contracts equal me showing up every week and cutting no grass. the damn heat has been BRUTAL in georgia for the past 2 weeks however (like all heat waves) its come to an end the the rain has started... now my lawns are going to spring to life and start growing again. This year has been great, mild winter made my landscape installs go very smooth and the early spring brought a ton of customers. Here in georgia im loving some global warming
Yeah I'm pretty sure our customers would love to hear that, especially the unemployed ones and those heading to bankruptcy court,
now some folks wouldn't think any of theirs are on their way, but we are finding some are likely in every pool.

Last edited by herler; 07-10-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

As of the last time i looked the St. Louis area is in a D2 drought, with hardly any releif in sight. Most guys in the industry i talk to say they are just going to ramp up their seeding aeration schedule this fall. That will hardly make up for lost revenue. Last billing statement i sent out a picture of the NOAA map indicating the D2 drought. I urged all those who dont have irrigation to water to AVOID grass dying. Its past the point of dormancy. You need to let your customers to water or the grass will DIE.

We had 10 days of 105 heat with not a dribble of rain for 5 weeks. We had heavy spotty rain last weekend. Within a 10 mile radius, One place got 6 inches of rain while the other barely got the grass wet.

Commercials are weekly visits regardless. We pull weeds, pick up trash. Run around with the trimmer for weeds. We stay off the grass with the mowers to avoid damage. Never had a manager/ owner argue with us not cutting. Again just explain to them the severity of the problem.

Its rough out there, just insist that your customers water their grass. Not to green up, but to stay alive.

Mike
Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure our customers would love to hear that, especially the unemployed ones and those heading to bankruptcy court,
now some folks wouldn't think any of theirs are on their way, but we are finding some are likely in every pool.
if someone is unemployed and going into bankruptcy and they still hire a landscaper for $200 a month then i could give a damn about their well being. my work is strictly high dollar (mostly reel cut) lawns in a very upscale part of north georgia. My clients get more than what they pay for and are very happy with my service. My hard work and dedication to my customers has guided me to be in the position i am in.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What drought?
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.