Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
It's nice to get notes like that. Some guys would have mowed them weekly and lost them. We have lawns here that look like pictures posted earlier. Guys are still mowing them every 10 or so. And these guys have been around for awhile. On guy has been mowing well over 30 years. Just don't get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am doing every 10-14 on most lawns now. 3 weeks tops. After that I do mow to knock down the quackgrass and weeds (the ones I don't also treat).
Have never gone more than 3 weeks without mowing a lawn. After that amount of time it looks better cut than scraggly.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I am doing every 10-14 on most lawns now. 3 weeks tops. After that I do mow to knock down the quackgrass and weeds (the ones I don't also treat).
Have never gone more than 3 weeks without mowing a lawn. After that amount of time it looks better cut than scraggly.
The thing is, there's nothing there. Looks like march after the snow melts. All dormant. They are sprayed for weeds. Most around here mowed in the heat of the day and burnt everything.

I cut a couple yesterday after almost 3 weeks. I'm hoping to het most back on every other week now that we got a little rain and its not quite so fricken hot. Man, the last couple years have been a roller coaster for weather.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
K & K Mowing K & K Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 133
Here in north central Maryland no drought whatsoever. Wish I cold send some rain west for ya. Last three days have had between 2 & 5 inches. Most of the alphalfa fields have been cut three times so far. Corn is near 8' tall. This is unusual even for this area. Be mowing today except it's still raining.

Regards, Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM
unit28 unit28 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MN, A-noka CO.
Posts: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
The thing is, there's nothing there. Looks like march after the snow melts. All dormant. They are sprayed for weeds. Most around here mowed in the heat of the day and burnt everything.

I cut a couple yesterday after almost 3 weeks. I'm hoping to het most back on every other week now that we got a little rain and its not quite so fricken hot. Man, the last couple years have been a roller coaster for weather.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think our rainfall last year was a bit above average.
For the most part we did good in the North Metro.

July of last year proved fatal to a few North Metro lawns
when we had record breaking heat.

Morehead had the highest index at 134*F

This is last years map July 20, 2011. After that and starting in August, we were getting into drought conditions state wide.

No snow 2011-12 wasn't good.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit28 View Post
I think our rainfall last year was a bit above average.
For the most part we did good in the North Metro.

July of last year proved fatal to a few North Metro lawns
when we had record breaking heat.

Morehead had the highest index at 134*F

This is last years map July 20, 2011. After that and starting in August, we were getting into drought conditions state wide.

No snow 2011-12 wasn't good.
we did good down here til mid august when the rain stopped. It actually stopped the couple days of July. We didn't get anything til it snowed, if you want to call it that. Doing field work was almost impossible. We went through 7000 in plow shears and chisel plow points. Plowed at 2mpg. Normally 4-5. If there's no snow this winter, I'm going to have to restructure the way I do business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,944
Oh and I'm sick of this friggen heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 PM
buttaluv buttaluv is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MidWest
Posts: 503
AMEN to that...I use to want rain...now I don't even care as long as it cools the hell down!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Potomac Lawns Inc.'s Avatar
Potomac Lawns Inc. Potomac Lawns Inc. is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by K & K Mowing View Post
Here in north central Maryland no drought whatsoever. Wish I cold send some rain west for ya. Last three days have had between 2 & 5 inches. Most of the alphalfa fields have been cut three times so far. Corn is near 8' tall. This is unusual even for this area. Be mowing today except it's still raining.

Regards, Kevin
Send some rain a little farther south (Southern Md). Hay fields here will be lucky if they get a second cutting.
__________________
http://potomaclawns.com/
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 913
Sold all my lawn equipment and bought ETF CORN...+35% in one month
Exogenous Shock
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.08092 seconds with 8 queries