Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
lawnhoppers, its funny you say that about the V10. i found this truck forsale yesterday on my way home.
F250, V10 gas motor, 140k miles guy wants $2400.
If everything checks out on the truck that sounds good. Looks like a recent paint job covering the yellow inside the bed. I would offer $2k.

You will definitely want your 2 man crew on the mowing route with that truck vs. your 40k Dodge..........
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plan to go make an offer on this 99 F250 w/ v10 today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
i went and looked at the 99' again the owner came out and chatted with me. he lives about 1 1/2 from here, said all the miles are highway, truck was strictly used for driving to work, never pulled anything with it. he had a folder in the glove box, with all the reciepts for every service the truck has had since he bought it new in 99. i was shocked. ill try to take a pic of it 2morrow.
If he has been that particular with every service, I wouldnt see the problem with the 99...I would go for it...less problems in the long run
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would go with the 96 f250 diesel, as long as it looks maintained. those 7.3's are work horses, just like the 94-98 12v cummins they are 500,000 mile if not million mile motors, if taken care of. 285k is nothing. especially if its flat where you are. 7.3 diesel can't kill it, i work my truck like no other and its always comes back for more, i've had 2 full pallets of sod in the bed, no issues. I tow 10-12,000lbs on a weekly basis no issues, my dads skid steer is mustang 2060, and with the equipment trailer is over 10k, then his mini x is a takeuchi tb125 which is heavier then the skid steer. my truck was also used for towing a 35' fishing boat to the ocean and loaded to the top of the cab with crab cages with the previous owner, so i had to replace the hitch but that was no big deal. before him the original owner bought the truck and used it for landscaping and plowing, and it had a sander in the bed....for the first 110,000 miles. so even having 238,000 hard working miles on my truck, it was used as a main source of income for both previous owners so it was well maintained, and the same goes with me. I do the oil every 3-4000 miles and whatever else it needs. its my only truck and i rely on it a lot especially in the winter when it snows.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

On the 96 7.3 power stroke check the oil pan all over! They are known for having the oil pans rust thru.I know, I have a 96 7.3 and have had this problem. Its a very expensive repair bill. About $2500.00 in my area. The engine has to be pulled to replace the pan. The neighbor across the street had his go from the inside out. Check the power stoke forums out and you'll see all of the guys bitchin about this problem.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have no patience for older trucks since repairs will be more frequent then my patience can handle. You also never know how much life they have left which makes buying them a gamble. Look for an 03' or newer Ram 2500 quad cab so if you grow you company you have a truck that can hold a crew and not just two guys.

I had a 97 F250 extended cab back around 03-06. It had 125K on it and it was an OK truck for 50K until it crapped out. The 5.9's are way stronger engines then the 7.3's and are less apt to give you high millage issues. I would look for something in the low 2000's if it fits in the budget.

I'm spoiled on new trucks and waiting for low to 0% interest spread out over 5-6 years with zero down. You know my daily driver is an 09' 3500 but my work truck is an 06' 2500 with 100K on it that I bought new. Good luck on buying your truck but be leery of any spark plugs since the toeing millage will suck. The 5.4 is not a strong engine.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-16-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I have no patience for older trucks since repairs will be more frequent then my patience can handle. You also never know how much life they have left which makes buying them a gamble. Look for an 03' or newer Ram 2500 quad cab so if you grow you company you have a truck that can hold a crew and not just two guys.

I had a 97 F250 extended cab back around 03-06. It had 125K on it and it was an OK truck for 50K until it crapped out. The 5.9's are way stronger engines then the 7.3's and are less apt to give you high millage issues. I would look for something in the low 2000's if it fits in the budget.

I'm spoiled on new trucks and waiting for low to 0% interest spread out over 5-6 years with zero down. You know my daily driver is an 09' 3500 but my work truck is an 06' 2500 with 100K on it that I bought new. Good luck on buying your truck but be leery of any spark plugs since the toeing millage will suck. The 5.4 is not a strong engine.
My 2011 Dodge I bought last Oct I got for 2.95% for 72 mos zero down through Sun Trust bank so still able to get all of the rebates they take away when you do 0% interest option through the manufactures credit co.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
My 2011 Dodge I bought last Oct I got for 2.95% for 72 mos zero down through Sun Trust bank so still able to get all of the rebates they take away when you do 0% interest option through the manufactures credit co.
Posted via Mobile Device
How much of a rebate did you keep? On a 45K loan at 2.95 you would pay about $4100 over 72 months. When I bought in December 2009 I think I gave up $3000 to get zero for 72.

The finance guy was a crook at Boerne Dodge outside San Antonio and tried to hard sell me on not using the 0%. When I pressed him on the issue and did some math he admitted paying my truck off early was the only way his rate would be better. He only said that because he was going to bet a kickback for selling the loan. He also outright lied about what the warranty covered and tried to shove an extended warranty down my throat.

They had the truck washed, plates on it and ready to go and I walked the hell out. The look on their face was priceless!

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-16-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta love those dealers! I've luckily bought all my Dodges from the same guy who was a salesman back when I bought my 90' and is now the Gen Mgr. I just call him on the phone to tell him what I want and they bring it to me. I shop for a loan on the Internet.

My truck is an ST 2wd cc g56 plain work truck with no chrome. I did put some alum takeoff wheels on it. Sticker was 41900. With all rebates and discounts it was 32k, otd was 34.5k. I've always paid extra through the season and min payment in winter. Usually paying off in about 48 to 54 mos.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Gotta love those dealers! I've luckily bought all my Dodges from the same guy who was a salesman back when I bought my 90' and is now the Gen Mgr. I just call him on the phone to tell him what I want and they bring it to me. I shop for a loan on the Internet.

My truck is an ST 2wd cc g56 plain work truck with no chrome. I did put some alum takeoff wheels on it. Sticker was 41900. With all rebates and discounts it was 32k, otd was 34.5k. I've always paid extra through the season and min payment in winter. Usually paying off in about 48 to 54 mos.
Posted via Mobile Device
My 02' & 06' were ST models with vinyl floors and seats. Power nothing. You don't see very many ST models anymore. The SXT tends to be the base model most of the time now. The truck I walked out on was an ST and I ended up with an SXT at Benny Boyd.

I really like the power windows, power mirrors (heated), and cruise control. Dealers pay very little for the extras and the markup is huge. I didn't pay any extra for the SXT and it will have better resale value. I threw on some $500 Coverking seat covers over the cloth seats (cloth sucks), console, and all the headrests that look very factory. The floor got the Husky mats so everything cleans up well.