Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Am I pricing to low?

Whats your guys opinion on this. I got 3 customers side by side and each property is about the same size and I charge them $20 a cut. I work fast enough where I can still keep the quality aspect of it and can do it in about 1:45-2:00 hours. Thats a mow trim and blow. Is $30 an hour to low? I feel like I should have quoted them $25 each. Just some back ground about myself I am a solo-op and use a 36" walk behind scag. And the over head for the business is the truck and trailer insurance and mower payments and gas. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2765 View Post
Whats your guys opinion on this. I got 3 customers side by side and each property is about the same size and I charge them $20 a cut. I work fast enough where I can still keep the quality aspect of it and can do it in about 1:45-2:00 hours. Thats a mow trim and blow. Is $30 an hour to low? I feel like I should have quoted them $25 each. Just some back ground about myself I am a solo-op and use a 36" walk behind scag. And the over head for the business is the truck and trailer insurance and mower payments and gas. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
If thats all you have for overhead then no, making $30/ hour beats working at McD's. Funny how most people on this site, (including me) have an overhead as high as what your making per hour.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

subscribe, this will be good.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Sponsor

You mentioned your expenses. Out of $30.00 an hour do you have any money for repairs or replacement of equipment?. Do you have any business insurance covering you or your
customers?. Since you only have Three accounts I do not believe you are even close to
charging enough to earn a profit much less cover your fixed cost. Even at $50.00 an hour you may be clearing $8.00 to 10.00 per hour max after all expenses.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
You mentioned your expenses. Out of $30.00 an hour do you have any money for repairs or replacement of equipment?. Do you have any business insurance covering you or your
customers?. Since you only have Three accounts I do not believe you are even close to
charging enough to earn a profit much less cover your fixed cost. Even at $50.00 an hour you may be clearing $8.00 to 10.00 per hour max after all expenses.
easy-lift guy
Very well said. I agree 100%.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

at 50 an hour if you clear 10 an hour after all expenses as a solo op, where does the other 40 an hour go? lol
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your too low, however your area and my area are different. Im a solo operator and cut 1 day a week with a helper. I landscape the other 5-6 days a week. However I do cut ten lawns (all on fridays) and after my expenses, taxes, and helper are paid I make about 40 an hour. 42 or 3 to be exact. That money pays off my few bills, the landscaping is were I make most of my money at. I think 30 is to low, by the time you pay off fuel, insurance, taxes and any other expenses you cant be making much more than 10 bucks an hour. At that point your better off working for someone else (take no offense) but for 10 bucks an hour its not worth the headache.. Of course someone would probably also say that about working for 40 an hour after expenses.

Were I live I hold back 36 percent for taxes alone. 20 for federal, 10 for state, and 6 for sales tax (percentages) so if I made 30 dollars an hour before expenses I would already have to deduct 10.80 of that before I even thought about getting to fuel, insurance, ex. ex. In one day of mowing I go through about 3/4 of a tank of fuel in the mowers and the handhelds and 20-30 dollars in my truck.... If your working an 8 hour day (assuming) and you go through 40 dollars of fuel a day, thats 5 dollars and hour that goes to fuel. So now your down to 30-10.80(TAXES)-5(fuel) your down to 14.20 and we still havent got to insurance, vehicle replacment, mower replacment, ex. ex. ex.....

Last edited by zak406; 07-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzbrotherslawncare View Post
at 50 an hour if you clear 10 an hour after all expenses as a solo op, where does the other 40 an hour go? lol
Liability insurance, ss, medicare, income taxes, retirement, health insurance, vehicle insurance, advertising, gas, equipment etc. The list goes on. Most people have no clue on actuall overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
The balance go towards fixed and variable cost. Look up either one and you may figure out your working for just over minimum wage.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Easy,

Taxes,insurance, vehicle replacment, mower replacment, equipment replacment, funds for tires and other things, retirment funds, sales tax, fuel, repair funds. His example was a little exagerated (unless you have an ungodly amount of overhead) but his point is well taken. Alot of guys think (newbs, fly by nighters, unemployeed people, people who work for beer money) o **** im making 40 dollars an hour, but they dont calculate any expenses into it. This is were I make my money because when they finally go broke or cant pay to replace a mower or do a job thats when I swoop in