Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do ya think

What do you guys think of this mower? The guys wants a great price for it homeowner kept meticulously maintained 38" deck 14 hp motor is this a commercial model, I dont have the model #.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just got some new information,
Model: Gx1320
Deck: FLOATING!!
Hour meter: 287.2
Previous Owner: Homeowner

My research shows that this is a commercial unit and not a "open box mower" before buying something I check online for part availability, nice easy and cheap not out of stock if you know what I mean, new blades, oil changed every 50 hours

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another tib bit of info he is asking 500 neg. and it is hydrostatic driven

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For that price I might take a chance but you really have to know a thing or two about lawn mowers because just because someone says it's commercial doesn't make it so, how many times have I seen folks claim that when in reality it wasn't commercial at all, now I can't find squat about it other than it appears to be made in the mid to late 90's which means it 's well past its prime...

But we don't know, because you don't know that we need the serial number and that tells me if that thing breaks down you're going to have a time fixing it because we can't help you and even with the serial number most of us can't do anything...Without that I have no way to ascertain whether it's homeowner grade, or commercial.
We have no manuals, no specifications, don't know who sells the parts for it, no nothing.
No, I am sorry but someone's word isn't good enough because if it isn't then it's likely only going to last two to three years.

It will still run all right but you won't be mowing quite at top speed if you know what's good for you and the machine, then parts can be a real problem to find until you can nail down the serial number and even then you're going to have to know a thing or two about cross-referencing because there won't be many out there who can help you.
Maintenance wise you'll be on your own, granted it's probably no different than any other walk-behind, I think you'd be all right on the daily stuff and all that but rest assured they require FREQUENT maintenance, not necessarily a bad thing, they all do.

And the price is nice, I'll give it that, even if you only get two or three years out of it.
I don't know, it's a toss up if you ask me.

Last edited by herler; 07-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Really? I didnt realize it was that old, my local mower shop/ dealer said that they made this model 2000 -03 maybe ill pass then he informed me that he would be able to find parts for it, but I searched a bit on google before and saw what you did, squat :/ from the pics it looked to be awesome, the biggest problem I am thinking about is mulching, I dont side discharge and finding mulching plates for this machine is proving to be impossible

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd buy it, its cheap and if nothing else would be a decent back up mower. Side discharge and don't worry about the mulch plate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Offer him 350 cash and see if he will bite
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt be using tjis as a backup but finally be able to put my troy bilt out of commercial service and use that as a back up though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
Offer him 350 cash and see if he will bite
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess that would make it worth it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe you can tell us what kind of engine that is?

I don't recognize it from the looks...
Which I find a bit odd, it ought to be either a Kohler or a Kawasaki.

These are some of the things I like to check over when inspecting used equipment,
I want to see the OEM engine or if it has been replaced, and with what?
Here is some of the logic behind it all:
If they did replace it and they stuck another exact duplicate of the OEM on there, that tells me the owner meant business.
But if they stuck some Chinese clone on it, it could mean someone didn't give a rat.
Obviously I like it best when it's the original that came with the machine when new.

But for $400 I might take it myself, after all the bad things I said you normally won't find a hydro for under a grand and we're talking in some kind of rough shapes, too.
350 lol hey if you got the balls to ask go for it, I was thinking $400 but whichever floats your boat.

Last edited by herler; 07-12-2012 at 12:15 AM.