The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the guy selling a customer? If so try to barter your services for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

kawi fc420v parts searched by me for the motor, no problems finding them breakdowns to repair manuals its all there, just the mowers mechanical parts are being tough to find

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
Is the guy selling a customer? If so try to barter your services for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats a really good idea, if only he didnt live and hour and a half away

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
...even if you only get two or three years out of it...
I would be fine even if it lasts 2 years, by then I am sure that my troy bilt would be sold and then this would become a back up, but as for this season I would be using it close to 20 hours a week and using it to transport my equipment, blower weedwhacker to jobs up to 1/2 mile away, still cant drive

EDIT: This is hydrostatic driven, do you think that the pumps could be on their way out? How long do they normally last? I have only owned and worked on belt drives before

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
I would be fine even if it lasts 2 years, by then I am sure that my troy bilt would be sold and then this would become a back up, but as for this season I would be using it close to 20 hours a week and using it to transport my equipment, blower weedwhacker to jobs up to 1/2 mile away, still cant drive

EDIT: This is hydrostatic driven, do you think that the pumps could be on their way out? How long do they normally last? I have only owned and worked on belt drives before
If its commercial and only has 300 hours like you said you should be fine. Only way to tell though is to check the fluid for shavings and drive the mower around. Make sure it tracks straight and is equal power in each pump, make sure reverse works and is powerful, also check to see if it "creeps "
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So are you both thinking that the hour and a half drive would be worth my time ? What do you mean by creeps? would this machine have a problem pulling a sulky? How do I got about checking fluid for shavings?

Herler I didnt see that you edited your post with more info, I texted him its the original engine, kawi fc420v carb had to be rebuild in '04 because the needle was stuck.

I dont know a thing about hydro units, but would love to learn. As we have all found out the parts for this unit is tough to find online at least, tomorrow I am going to call another john deere dealer near me and get their word on it.

If a pump were to fail or begin losing power in a month or so, how much do they run to replace?

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What I mean by creeps is that when the machine is in neutral and on flat surface it stays put and doesn't move. As for the pumps open. Up the resovour and take a look in side see if the fluid is milky or discolored, dip your finger in and make sure everything is smooth. For 500 bucks I wouldn't take it to a dealer to be looked at. As for pump price Idn hat pumps are on it so I have no clue
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok thanks for all the information guys! What I mean by calling a dealer, i am going to inquire about machanical part availability for it. I have a small engine mechanic in town, whom helps me learn about all of my equipment and how to fix them, now I do all of my repairs my self, I can disassemble my mower completely and know how everything works hes great! So if I need something for this unit, he would be my guy, but I wanted to know from a JD dealer if they know if parts are available. So good or bad I think the drive would be worth it, I am sure that I could pick apart the mower in front of the seller, and get the price down some, even though he said firm in the posting.

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd say it's most likely a really good deal.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pshwew thats what I was hoping ill keep you guys posted after I check it tmrw!
Posted via Mobile Device