Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They would have been far better off if they had produced a product with a quality cut and deck design.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I talked with my banker friend and he said it doesn't sound good. He said the introduction of venture capitalists as investors was probably a mistake. These types of people are only interested in how much money they can make, any way they can make it. This may have something to do with why BOP suddenly started selling the wheeled blowers that were another manufacturers product with BOP paint. Gary was probably under intense pressure from the venture capitalists to produce profits any way he could.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad I didn't buy all the hype on this site that was building there for a while. It seemed like every other thread two or three years ago was about BOP. Sounds to me like even when they were in business you couldn't get them to respond to email, phone calls, or anything else. If you are going to sell mowers direct, you at least have to have someone prepared to take orders and ship parts, tech questions, etc.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
They would have been far better off if they had produced a product with a quality cut and deck design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINKY1902 View Post
I'm glad I didn't buy all the hype on this site that was building there for a while. It seemed like every other thread two or three years ago was about BOP. Sounds to me like even when they were in business you couldn't get them to respond to email, phone calls, or anything else. If you are going to sell mowers direct, you at least have to have someone prepared to take orders and ship parts, tech questions, etc.
I doubt either of you have any actual experience with BOP.

I started the maintenance division of my company with 2 BOPs, and they served me very well. The quality of cut is very good, they are very lightweight an compact, and they cost less than half of a turf tracer or something similar. The low price was most important to me since I didn't want to take on10 grand plus in debt for a couple of mowers when I was getting started. I had very few mechanical problems, but when I did have problems or questions, it was very easy to get Tommy or someone else on the phone. Customer service was excellent. I never had a single problem ordering parts or getting someone to answer the phone.

I now own V-rides and turf tracers, which are great machines, but I still like and use my dually 36. The dually has become my personal mower which I use when I mow with the guys which is usually once or twice a week.

I don't know what's going on with BOP, but I hope they survive. Good people with good little machines.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Have you ever cut with one? I have one and it leaves the grass as smooth as the top of a pool table. Regardless of what has happened to BOP, they've developed a forward-looking and innovative product. For now, they're also selling replacement parts to keep the machines out there running.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierT&L View Post

I started the maintenance division of my company with 2 BOPs, and they served me very well. The quality of cut is very good, they are very lightweight an compact, and they cost less than half of a turf tracer or something similar. The low price was most important to me since I didn't want to take on10 grand plus in debt for a couple of mowers when I was getting started. I had very few mechanical problems, but when I did have problems or questions, it was very easy to get Tommy or someone else on the phone. Customer service was excellent. I never had a single problem ordering parts or getting someone to answer the phone.

I now own V-rides and turf tracers, which are great machines, but I still like and use my dually 36. The dually has become my personal mower which I use when I mow with the guys which is usually once or twice a week.

I don't know what's going on with BOP, but I hope they survive. Good people with good little machines.

My only experience with them is reading posts from owners of them on here. Looking at the thread below I'm glad I don't own one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...&highlight=BOP
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed, BOP made great compact mowers at a good price point.
I was well pleased with mine, nice moneymaker. Striped even better than my TTHP.
BOP going under made me exit stage right, and that was the only reason.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierT&L View Post

Thats pretty much been my experience.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe they should have named it "BEST Outdoor Products".

Good. Better. Best.

Hmmm... Yeah, let's go with "mediocre".

Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Quote:
My only experience with them is reading posts from owners of them on here. Looking at the thread below I'm glad I don't own one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...&highlight=BOP
You read it on the internet so it must be true? You do realize that the thread you posted is not from when they were still conducting regular business?

The fact is their customer service was excellent, and you can still get parts very quickly.

Maybe they are done, I have no idea, but there's no reason pile on, or spread false rumors. These are good folks that were running a good old fashioned American business. I hope they make it.