Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Crew Leader Job Duties and Qualifications

I am in the process of revamping our current employee job descriptions and qualifications in order to stream line how we do business. I don't know what other companies have their landscape maintenance crew leaders do so I am asking for some input. Currently our so called "crew leaders" are the ones that have a valid drivers license and that is about it. Really there is no difference between them and their crew. They have the same qualifications as in they know how to operate the equipment and make the landscape pretty. I have seen other companies where it appears that the crew leader sprays herbicides, does irrigation start ups and repairs, etc. What I have so far for qualifications are the following:
1. Have a thorough knowledge of how to safely, properly and efficiently operate all machinery.
2. Have a thorough knowledge of plant identification, horticultural practices such as pruning, plant care, and fertilization.
3. Have a Chemical Applicators license for Ornamental & Turf Insecticide, Fungicide and Herbicide.
4. Have a current and valid Oregon driverís license.
5. Know how to operate, program, troubleshoot, and repair irrigation systems.
6. Know how to organize and lead one or more employees.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also I am out of the PNW in Oregon, what is the approximate pay for said crew leaders? Our so called "crew leaders" earn about 12.00/hr but would earn more if they were licensed to spray herbicides.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crew Leader Job Duties and Qualifications

Must be able to replace belts on mowers, fix flats, grease equipment, fill out paper work. Make sure someone Washes equipment.

A true crew leader knows everything and gets the other guys to do it all. And then checks it was done right. The checking part is the one that Separates the good from the bad.