Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

i started cutting lawns of and on when i was 8. then i went into business full time 13 years ago. had a falling out with a partner and dissolved that business.came up with a new name and a business plan and been at it 3 years strong and growing.
i do know of a guy that's 92 he is still cutting some lawns and plowing snow he has been in this business for over 60 years. he says back when he landscaped they called him a gardener.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started when I was 16 with a mini van and a push mower.

3 years later, I have 6 vehicles, 3 guys and a shop.
Bobcat 763

8x30 Tandem
6x12 Single

Snapper WB Z-Turn 48" (Trac-Vac)
36" WB John Deere Z-Turn (Pro-Vac)

21 year old

Youtube: www.youtube.com/BOSSLAWN2343
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derrel...5569495?ref=hl
Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got my start in 1999 (15 years old at that time) working part time up until March 2002. I was laid off at that point, and didn't get back in to lawn care until February of 2011. Since May of 2011, I've been doing this full time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL... well, I started cutting lawns at the age of 8, charging $1 in 1966. Gas was $0.23 a gallon, a 16-oz Pepsi was $0.12, you got 5 pretzel rods for a penny, or 3 pcs of bubble yum for a penny. A movie ticket was $0.25 as was bowling per game or 5-games for a buck, and you could buy a sack of 10 hamburgers for a buck. So making $5 a week cutting lawns was a big deal.

When I was 14 I got my working papers, started working with Moony Landscaping laying sod, planting bushes and trees, creating landscaping beds, and cutting lawns. Worked in landscaping until I was out of school and scored my first manager job. Then for 28-years I was an advid home gardener, doing mine and some of my neighbors property, and now at 53 I started my own company. So... 45/years... LOL... it was more fun when I was 8... LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When worked in the Mobil station in the 60's Gas was as low as 19.9 pop was .05 cigs were .20 a pack huge candy bars were .05 We fixed flat tires for .75 and so on.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
LOL... well, I started cutting lawns at the age of 8, charging $1 in 1966. Gas was $0.23 a gallon, a 16-oz Pepsi was $0.12, you got 5 pretzel rods for a penny, or 3 pcs of bubble yum for a penny. A movie ticket was $0.25 as was bowling per game or 5-games for a buck, and you could buy a sack of 10 hamburgers for a buck. So making $5 a week cutting lawns was a big deal.

When I was 14 I got my working papers, started working with Moony Landscaping laying sod, planting bushes and trees, creating landscaping beds, and cutting lawns. Worked in landscaping until I was out of school and scored my first manager job. Then for 28-years I was an advid home gardener, doing mine and some of my neighbors property, and now at 53 I started my own company. So... 45/years... LOL... it was more fun when I was 8... LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha Yeah u could say 45 years lol

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaustreim View Post
When worked in the Mobil station in the 60's Gas was as low as 19.9 pop was .05 cigs were .20 a pack huge candy bars were .05 We fixed flat tires for .75 and so on.
Lol... In michigan we had a $0.05 deposit, which was another thing us kids did to get money. 4 pop bottles and we could share a pop and get some candy... Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
Haha Yeah u could say 45 years lol
Lol... We hustled as kids, cut lawns, collected pop bottles, washed cars, stocked machines at the bowling alley, passed out flyers for local businesses... And still managed to play little league baseball... Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
Lol... We hustled as kids, cut lawns, collected pop bottles, washed cars, stocked machines at the bowling alley, passed out flyers for local businesses... And still managed to play little league baseball... Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
There is always time for baseball

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 07-22-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

started full time on my own in 1987....its been quite an adventure (with no real regrets) have raised 2 great kids...still married to my first wife, and own my home....at 47 im still working alongside my guys in the field (my choice) as im affraid if i stop working ill fall apart..lol