Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I count all my experience then 40 years.

wait I made mud pies and played in the sand box at 3. make that 48 years
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Started cutting lawns in the neighborhood at 11 or 12. Started my company at 22 after graduating from University of Florida. This past August was 4 yrs in biz. Gonna move to San Diego in a couple years and start a company out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Started doing some neighborhood lawn work, cleanup, etc when I was about 12 or so, later on started mowing a small lawn for a friend of mine that was doing maintenance on a college building and then a few years later actually started my own lawn care business in 2004 and have been in business ever since. In amongst that did some farm mowing and CRP mowing. But, officially almost 9 years. And starting about 3 or 3.5 yrs ago I started a window washing/gutter cleaning/power washing business and have been doing both.
'07 Exmark TT HP 19/48 w/ proslide
Dump Trailer
Stihl MS 660
Stihl MS 441
Stihl MS 261
Stihl MS 200T
Stihl HT 101
Echo 266T
Stihl FS 110 RX
Stihl BR 600
Stihl HS 81 R Hedge Trimmer
Echo 250 blower
Stihl SG 20 Backpk Sprayer
AC 3pt Splitter
Allis Chalmers 200 Turbo
Bush Hog 15' Batwing
Allis Chalmers D17 Series 4
Honda Pressure Washer
Ryan Aerator
Old 10-28-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
Hey guys, I saw someones signature that said 40 years old, blank years in the business and it got me thinking "I bet some of these people have been doing this for A LONG TIME"... So How long have you been in the buisness of lawn care, landscaping, Snow plowing, etc... Oh and can u name what you've done/ do
Turf in our family goes back a couple of generations. My Dad's been offering a landscaping service since he was 18 -- 40 years ago.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm 19 now, been doing this six years. Full time for three, and holy crap, things have really taken off in the last three years for me. Numbers shot way up, and so did the headaches!

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy Landscaping View Post
I'm 19 now, been doing this six years. Full time for three, and holy crap, things have really taken off in the last three years for me. Numbers shot way up, and so did the headaches!

Big salute to you! Keep it up!
Bobcat 763

8x30 Tandem
6x12 Single

Snapper WB Z-Turn 48" (Trac-Vac)
36" WB John Deere Z-Turn (Pro-Vac)

21 year old

Youtube: www.youtube.com/BOSSLAWN2343
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derrel...5569495?ref=hl
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Started working within the industry the day before I turned 16, so technically 15 (2007). That first summer I had thought about possibly starting a company of my own but was interested in Meteorology at the time, then changed my decision to accounting in my Jr yr of high school (fall 2007) and in 09 I grad'd high school, attended 3 semesters at UND, hated being there but loved working up there (the school's landscaping dept., did all the mowing on the zero turn (about 15 properties throughout campus), shrub trimming, cutting back perennials, other maint related stuff. They loved me and it was a great working atmosphere. I worked there during the first & third sem I was there. I found what I wanted to do within my life, which was start a business of my own, and go to school for horticulture, transferred to where I currently attend (Anoka Tech College) in Jan 2011 for the Spring '11 Semester, I have 1 class left for next semester and I'll graduate. I started my business in Feb 2011 and did it part time while working for a local municipality. In 2012 spring, I formed a partnership business with a sh!thead former friend and we both worked at an underground directional drilling company for a month and then I basically said c ya, and went full time with my business. He and his friends (my former friends) ridicule me non-stop because he's jealous I'm basically living his dream yet he had a disastrous failure of a start-up of his own business shortly after we graduated and resents anyone that tries to start a landscape business. Quite comical to say the least. But anyway, in 2011 I only really did maintenance, I didn't know a whole lot about installs, now that I've taken all the hardscape related classes I have a very good handle on the subject and did a couple patios in 2012 and a good amount of installs but also did maint, bought a plow this fall for my truck that I bought in May 2012 (used my dad's half ton in 2011). I am 21 now as it states in my signature. I'm really looking forward to next year as being a bigtime breakout year. Sales this year were about 500% more than 2011 and I'm shooting for a 6 figure gross for 2013. I'll be working on the advertising plan after the New Year arrives and I have an install, patio, and a large tearout/removal/install w/ irri & sod & landscape beds in the works for spring plus my maintenance clients. Hopefully I'll be able to nail all those and get things going asap after the snow melts. The future looks bright
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Started working within the industry the day before I turned 16, so technically 15 (2007). That first summer I had thought about possibly starting a company of my own but was interested in Meteorology at the time, then changed my decision to accounting in my Jr yr of high school (fall 2007) and in 09 I grad'd high school, attended 3 semesters at UND, hated being there but loved working up there (the school's landscaping dept., did all the mowing on the zero turn (about 15 properties throughout campus), shrub trimming, cutting back perennials, other maint related stuff. They loved me and it was a great working atmosphere. I worked there during the first & third sem I was there. I found what I wanted to do within my life, which was start a business of my own, and go to school for horticulture, transferred to where I currently attend (Anoka Tech College) in Jan 2011 for the Spring '11 Semester, I have 1 class left for next semester and I'll graduate. I started my business in Feb 2011 and did it part time while working for a local municipality. In 2012 spring, I formed a partnership business with a sh!thead former friend and we both worked at an underground directional drilling company for a month and then I basically said c ya, and went full time with my business. He and his friends (my former friends) ridicule me non-stop because he's jealous I'm basically living his dream yet he had a disastrous failure of a start-up of his own business shortly after we graduated and resents anyone that tries to start a landscape business. Quite comical to say the least. But anyway, in 2011 I only really did maintenance, I didn't know a whole lot about installs, now that I've taken all the hardscape related classes I have a very good handle on the subject and did a couple patios in 2012 and a good amount of installs but also did maint, bought a plow this fall for my truck that I bought in May 2012 (used my dad's half ton in 2011). I am 21 now as it states in my signature. I'm really looking forward to next year as being a bigtime breakout year. Sales this year were about 500% more than 2011 and I'm shooting for a 6 figure gross for 2013. I'll be working on the advertising plan after the New Year arrives and I have an install, patio, and a large tearout/removal/install w/ irri & sod & landscape beds in the works for spring plus my maintenance clients. Hopefully I'll be able to nail all those and get things going asap after the snow melts. The future looks bright
Nice man!!! Ive been thinking about taking a landscaping class at LSU. Cause like you I. Know nothing about installs but I would like to get into it

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew the gist of them. But not patios, permeable patios, waterfalls, retaining walls, columns, rain gardens, etc. I know a good amount about them now. I'd highly recommend taking more classes to further your education, you can never learn too much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Member

it's been 10 years so far, pretty good for a 29 year old.