Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see guys wearing breathing masks and Tyvek suits to spray their lawns too

I guess I am just asking what is the difference between a farm pond and an ornamental swimming pond

I will not have any fish n it
Just plants and a aquascapes system
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The only time I wear protective gear is when the water us 20 degrees man u talk about freeze your azzz off its not like Florida lol.
A farm pond is just what it is called its a large hole that fills up with water natural usually has no liner and the water fluctuates a lot depending on the soil. Usually a swim pond has liner, has a filtration system of some sorts and is continuously is cycled. Yes their are pathogens bacterica etc. But dangerous ones usually occur more often in oxygen depleted waters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A 'swimming pond' as presently understood in the industry has everything that a normal constructed pond would have minus fish, and includes a 'regeneration area' which is basically a heavily planted constructed wetland. This regeneration area, to be effective, must equal at least 40% of the entire swimming pond surface area. In other words, if the swim pond is 20' x 20' (400 sq/ft) 160 sq/ft minimum of this area must be set aside for regeneration.

Search 'Bio Nova'. They are presently the leading company in this field.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggs View Post
But dangerous ones usually occur more often in oxygen depleted waters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Raggs, that statement is an old wives tale and has no scientific support. In fact, one example, Aeromonas hydrophilia, one of the more toxic of the specie, actually prefers clear, well-oxygenated water. Most, but not all, living creatures require Oxygen at some point. All parasites do.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

In that is why you are here to clear up the old wives Lol you old tadpole. Now I stand corrected.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to admit that I have not usually worn any protective clothing when I perform in-pond maintenance. However, recently a Pond contractor friend of mine contracted Mycobacterium Marinum. A particular nasty pathogen. Took several weeks and several different antibiotic regimes to cure it. In fairness, this critter is only found in ponds with fish, not a swim pond. But if you have open sores such as scratches, cuts or abrasions, you can be easily infected by other organisms. In a total immersion scenario, one is bound to ingest some of the water, which could easily lead to internal problems. Children especially, their immune system is not that strong.
I will have to re-evaluate how I do things, breaking some old habits.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Say I have the water tested monthly for the bad strains if u will what wuld I used to treat

Do u think that there could b a good chance as I stated most around here are used for swimming and I have never heard of any issues

Also if there is an Algea problem can I used an algeacide or use copper sulfate and b ok

May put a UV in also
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Say I have the water tested monthly for the bad strains if u will what wuld I used to treat

Do u think that there could b a good chance as I stated most around here are used for swimming and I have never heard of any issues

Also if there is an Algea problem can I used an algeacide or use copper sulfate and b ok

May put a UV in also
Posted via Mobile Device
Only 2 methods are approved for treating water for pathogens that I am aware of: Chlorine or UV Sterilization. NOTE: This is UV sterilization not the level of UV generating that you will obtain from the standard pond UV Clarifier. A commercial grade unit is required and they will cost $3,000-$4,000.

There are no guarantees that you will or will not have a problem. Every body of water is different. If animals are allowed in the pond, (dogs, water fowl, turtles etc.) the chances for problems are greatly increased. For animals, a pond is just another place to 'Poop'. Seepage/run-off from septic drainage fields or livestock holding/grazing areas can also present a real hazard.

It would be very unusual, considering the size of the regeneration area, that a problem with floating algae would occur. Attached algae (non-filamentous) is wanted and is beneficial to the water quality of the pond.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Member

swimming ponds

Sounds like you could use some design help for natural swimming ponds . We can handle that if you are comfortable with non disclosures.

It's also interesting to note there are numerous clients who rely on local contractors regardless of experience. I've always found that interesting.