Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You can create a green health lawn w/out the development of thatch as long as you play to the creation of roots growing deep into the soil... Real thatch is formed from too much water and too much fertilizer,,, in that it encourages roots to grow up rather than down... mulch mowing is also important...

What kind of soil are you dealing with???
Not much clay soils here. Mainly compact sandy poor soil stripped of decent soil when most developments are punched in.

The entire issue here is make my lawn green, yeah i mow too short my wife likes it shorter than.this. I water everyday. Why do I have.thatch...?

My graphics artist says people want simple and very few details. Proper turf care requires more effort that people want to.put into.it. Easy button.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Not much clay soils here. Mainly compact sandy poor soil stripped of decent soil when most developments are punched in.

The entire issue here is make my lawn green, yeah i mow too short my wife likes it shorter than.this. I water everyday. Why do I have.thatch...?

My graphics artist says people want simple and very few details. Proper turf care requires more effort that people want to.put into.it. Easy button.
Posted via Mobile Device
Likely because you do have compacted sandy soil. Not much reason for the roots to grow deep.

Aerate and top dress with compost. Aeration will help with both the compaction and thatch. It also will help promote some deeper roots particularly if you can get some compost in those holes.

This is not a one and done deal but likely a few seasons worth of effort.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
The reduction of thatch can be accomplished with establishing an active population of microbes which will decompose the thatch. Sound cultural methods and the addition of organic matter and/or inoculants will go a long way in preventing thatch buildup.
Along with building soil structure that allows water infiltration, percolation and drainage to improve...
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Along with building soil structure that allows water infiltration, percolation and drainage to improve...
I was stating how I build soil structure. How would you go about building soil structure without the methods I mentioned?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I was stating how I build soil structure. How would you go about building soil structure without the methods I mentioned?
I was agreeing with you and stating a couple of additional 'advantages' to doing what you had stated... I personally do the exact things that you mentioned,,, so I've seen these advantages materialize over time...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been using dried poultry waste on my own lawn, dried livestock molasses, frequent aeration and limited use of synthetic based fertilizer. My own lawn had at least 3/4" of thatch to start with when I moved here in October of 2010. There has been a noticeable reduction of thatch and diminished fairy ring since I've been here.

What I'm getting at is the actual meat and potatoes of convincing a client that optimal results don't occur overnight. I'm trying to separate myself from the crowd in turf management.

Application clients want quick and easy. That is what most application companies offer.

What I'm getting at is how do you market this...? Vs the hey just call TG easy button.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
... What I'm getting at is how do you market this...? Vs the hey just call TG easy button.
Posted via Mobile Device
Keep it green with reduced ferts, as you increase nutrient cycling, thru the process of turning grass clippings into food... when you run into thatch problems that are actually stifling the lawn, you may have to aerate as often for them as you have for yourself, in order to get it under control...
Eventually, the amount of synfert goes down dramatically...