Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

kohler pro 27 Problems

Well we have two and both are acting up alike. One cylinder drops out and goes back to running.
I can not believe they are still in business. You can not reach anyone there to talk to. They direct you to a parts warehouse that doen't have a clue. 3 years of battling F'n Kohler motors instaed of making money with them.
Now I hear they have a fix by changing the wire harness. I changed a coil to no effect.

We will not buy another piece of equipment with a kohler motor on it.

I feel better now.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubricity View Post
I feel better now.

That's all that matters......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lubricity....
I'm glad you feel better....too....
Kohler has their own zipcode...really...
If you had been calm and dilligent I'm sure you could have gotten to someone that could have given you the help you needed...and your engine too....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Well we have two and both are acting up alike. One cylinder drops out and goes back to running.
I can not believe they are still in business. You can not reach anyone there to talk to. They direct you to a parts warehouse that doen't have a clue. 3 years of battling F'n Kohler motors instaed of making money with them.
Now I hear they have a fix by changing the wire harness. I changed a coil to no effect.

I feel better now.
These newer ignition systems were not designed to be repaired by untrained mechanics..unfortunately some trained mechanics don't have enough training to figure them out....and don't expect them to admit it...

Kohler Engines is not the problem....They have problems and rely on authorized shops to repair them in a professional and timely manner...If you want to work on your own stuff you either need to spend the time and money to get learned up...or troll the archives on this site...

If you are tired of ignition issues on the 27hp DSAI ignition systems...here is an easy fix....find a 25hp command with a standard ignition system...and swap the flywheel...coils..and wiring harness with the DSAI stuff...it'll run fine...I've done about 10 of them.....

Hope you're still happy.........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I feel better now.
Look, don't sweat it! Go to kohlerplus.com/login and sign in as a guest. Go to the literature box and you'll have access to most all of the service bulletins. A worthwhile site if ya got kohler problems. Plus you can download service manuals 'till yer eyes cross! I think ya wanna look at TT-5205 on page 2.

BUT it will only work/display properly using internet explorer! I normally run Firefox as my main browser, and keep IE around for special occasions.

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 07-12-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I have been working on mowers for 30 years, just to let you know I;m not a rookie.
As for changing a flywheel, etc. , good to know but that is something the factory should pay for if the stock parts don't work properly.

Thanks again to all of you guys. Stay cool out there.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I have been working on mowers for 30 years, just to let you know I;m not a rookie.
As for changing a flywheel, etc. , good to know but that is something the factory should pay for if the stock parts don't work properly.

Thanks again to all of you guys. Stay cool out there.
The factory wont pay for tampering with the ignition...
Probably shouldnt even told you it was possible....
This procedure is frowned upon by the regulatory type of people...

You havent worked in a Kohler shop for the last 5 years...much less 30..
These ignition systems make us all look like rookies..from time to time...
Contact Kohler directly and politely inform them of your problem...cant hurt.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lubricity.

I have a 27 command, horizontal shaft in my mini skid.

It was acting up when hot. Started to spit and sputter after a while and I had to let it cool down before it would start again. Swapped coils, checked the harness, etc... Still kept acting up.

Took it to the dealer finally and found out that even though the fuel filter was replaced the season before (I don't put a lot of hours on the machine), the filter and fuel line were gunked up.

So, it was the stupid ethanol fuel that created the problem. If you haven't checked the fuel system, then I would go there. I swear my problem was ignition related by the way it acted, but it turned out it wasn't.

Just a thought.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't you just love it when the EPA gets involved and causes engine manufacturers to replace a tried and true system with a problematic one?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahammer View Post
Don't you just love it when the EPA gets involved and causes engine manufacturers to replace a tried and true system with a problematic one?
Before you start blaming everything on the EPA,,,you need to step back and look at the big picture...hit the mute button and just look at what has resulted from these stringent regulations...

There is a whole lot of "Cahootzin" goin' on.....
The only ones complaining are the tech guys that design and have to make these things work...The OEM's are laughing all the way to the bank...They are selling more parts and engines than they have in years...Alot of parts are being replaced because few people know how to diagnose these new monstrocities...relegating good techs to mere parts changers..The OP in this thread is ready to replace his engines ( Which probably have simple problems) because nobody seems to know how to fix them...

Its "Good Cop..Bad Cop" economics..The OEM's are raking in the money and everyone is blaming the EPA....Pretty Neat Deal...HuH..