Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Deere Z225 scalping like crazy!!!

I mow mostly st augustine & some zoysia the deere just seems to scalp every yard if not careful just started this recently tire pressure is not low I run gator blades with a mulch kit blades are in ok shape I recently got a new B/S engine in it I just can seem to firgure out why it scalps and cuts uneven I also mow only at 4"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxscaper904 View Post
I mow mostly st augustine & some zoysia the deere just seems to scalp every yard if not careful just started this recently tire pressure is not low I run gator blades with a mulch kit blades are in ok shape I recently got a new B/S engine in it I just can seem to firgure out why it scalps and cuts uneven I also mow only at 4"
Posted via Mobile Device
It could be several things, but the first thing to do is check the deck pitch for level. Use the owners manual to do this. It shows you how to correctly set a deck on a Deere, which is very simple.

That aside, your biggest trouble is that you are cutting way too high, especially with that machine, since the gauge wheels are not able to be set low enough to prevent some gouging and scalping at that height. Do you even have them in their lowest position currently? If not, do that asap, then try lowering your cut height to 3.5". I bet good money most all your troubles will disappear. Another thing- gators are far from the best blade to use with Deere's mulch kits and aren't designed for that according to Oregon. Try using the OEM wavy mulch blades with your kit like it was designed for.

I have owned a to of Deere machines both with, and without mulch kits, and I am basing my advice off that experience.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

4 inches or higher is recommended for St.Augustine grass. Make sure it is actually cutting a 4 inches. My deere says 4 inches on the turn dial but is actually cutting at 3.5 inches.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
4 inches or higher is recommended for St.Augustine grass. Make sure it is actually cutting a 4 inches. My deere says 4 inches on the turn dial but is actually cutting at 3.5 inches.
It may be recommended, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. The gauge wheels simply aren't going to prevent scalping/gouging at that HOC. They have to be able to make contact with the ground, and they won't when cutting that high. The deck will simply keep dipping down on the side that goes into any in depressions and scalping or gouging.

OP-

If you have to cut that high, have someone make you some extention brackets that will allow you to lower your gauge wheels to within a half inch of the ground on a flat level surface when you have the deck set to cut at 4". Also, while you may not want to do it, slowing down will help a little.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have some kind of a problem with your deck that needs to be looked into, unfortunately the range of possibilities is so wide there's no telling what could be wrong with it from here, but I'd say it's hanging uneven or maybe your cut height is too low, maybe a blade is on upside down, who knows, you need to do your homework and look into things before dropping the question here, please.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I think the deck is unlevel blades are on correctly I cut at 4" because its recommended and because the st aug looks better at 4" I dont mow fast to not cause any scalping I literally spend more time trimming than mowing I maintain about 25 properties and If i run into any slight slope or anything it will scalp the hell out of it if it aint flat ground its all bad my toro recycler will cut better than the deere
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the 225 is a fairly lightly built homeowner machine, so it is possible that the frame may be bent, but I'd lay good money on the gauge wheels being the majority of your problems. Believe it or don't. Been running Deere's exclusively for many, many years now, and I'm trying to give you a couple places to start looking. I gauran-damn-tee you that Deere will outcut your recycler as long as there's no bend in the frame if you get it set up correctly, and have correctly sharpened blades. Make sure your deck isn't hanging from one or more broken hangers either. Parts wear and/or break.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I totally argee with you despite the 225 being a howeowner mower it definitly will cut some s*** up mines has over 500 hours it never let me down besides when I cracked the head which is why it has a new briggs but however on the deck the gauge wheels have a top and bottom mount mines are mounted at the top I used to cut at 3.5 to 3" but I started to maintain more lush lawn properties so I started to cut higher and plus the heat is drying out alot of lawns so cutting it high holds some moisture
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Move the gauge wheels down to the lowest setting you can. The higher you cut, the lower the wheels need to be to make contact with the ground when going through dips and over humps. When they are set up at the top, they never get the chance to perform their intended role. The wheels are not designed to carry the mower like many people set them to do. They are merely there to prevent gouging and scalping as much as possible when set correctly, which on a Deere is usually somewhere right around 1/2" above a flat surface like cement with the mower set in its cutting position. Set that way they help prevent the troubles you are experiencing, though with only two holes to choose from and the deck set to cut at 4", they'll more likely be about 1"-1.5" above a smooth flat surface like cement when the deck is lowered to its cutting height position.