Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fixed or Adjustable Spray Nozzles?

What do you guys prefer/install for spray nozzles? To me fixed nozzles seem obsolete these days, is there a good reason to use them over the adjustable nozzles?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes fixed arc perform much better than vans. Vans are the worst, I only use them if I absolutely have no choice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I take out quite a few vans that are damaged. Not sure if it's mechanical (lawn crew) or overtightened. I used them some when they first came out because they had the 18' one. The other brands I don't have much experience with. Really like the Rain Bird undercuts in certain places where you need more up close watering. Weathermatic brass have a great pattern if you have the pressure and money.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fixed. I hate to have to use VANs, they have terrible DU, use more water and clog much easier. Only hacks use VANs where a fixed would work. I even stock the available TT, TQ and T fixed nozzles on the truck.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

VANs are water hogs. A VAN set to 180 degrees, will put out more water than a fixed arc. They pattern also gets distorted easily with dirt or debris.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a friend who works for a bigger company here in town and he pretty much said the same thing, especially with VAN's getting clogged more often...i had a feeling this was going to be the responses, although i was hoping they would get better responses, was thinking about using more VAN's when i run out of my current stock, might rethink that...

does anyone use all VAN's or does that seem to be the consensus?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The toro vans are the worst the rb are better but they break on the top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
i have a friend who works for a bigger company here in town and he pretty much said the same thing, especially with VAN's getting clogged more often...i had a feeling this was going to be the responses, although i was hoping they would get better responses, was thinking about using more VAN's when i run out of my current stock, might rethink that...

does anyone use all VAN's or does that seem to be the consensus?
Haven't use the HE van, but I've seen some in action. They have a better looking pattern, but may have the same problems as the others. Tried to buy a few today at Deere, but they said only Ewing has them around here.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hate vans. The most important part of an irrigation system is that final spray to the landscape. In my opinion that has been going downhill for the sake of convenience. I've seen 50 year old brass nozzles that would put the current spray nozzles to shame.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Hate vans. The most important part of an irrigation system is that final spray to the landscape. In my opinion that has been going downhill for the sake of convenience. I've seen 50 year old brass nozzles that would put the current spray nozzles to shame.
Ditto. Any time you got to fool around with a adjustment screw, other than a fine-tune, you've screwed-up the design. I never used brass nozzles with adjustments, and rotors are the worst for guys fooling with them due to wrong application.