Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Hate vans. The most important part of an irrigation system is that final spray to the landscape. In my opinion that has been going downhill for the sake of convenience. I've seen 50 year old brass nozzles that would put the current spray nozzles to shame.
i've only seen a couple brass nozzles around here but i will say it seemed like a very even smooth flow...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I keep Van's on my truck for one or two replacements on a system but If Iam actually doing something meaningful, I use MP's

Do not like standard Nozzles and vans less.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Vans are horrible..

They throw out almost 2x the amount of water to it's counterpart

There DU is absolutely sh!t

They clog, become streaky, tops break and the color of the nozzle oxidizes so quick in the sun

I would say I have revived stupid contractor installs all vans to fixed nozzles ... Swapping a minimum of 500 nozzles if not 8 or 900 nozzles this season alone

It's rewarding to show the customer ... Oh my god I have a working system now.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love my VAN's .... the ones call MPRotators.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I love my VAN's .... the ones call MPRotators.
exactly,

I carry some basic Van sizes for one or two head repairs so I don't stock a lot of garbage. If the client wants the system fixed and saving water, I sell MP's.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We will swap to VAN nozzles around our color spots on our commercial sites because they put out more water. I personally like Hunter VANs the best for easy adjustment and the color is protected and RB for their 18'. That being said I hate the old Hunter design that ends up, well I guess, "streaking".
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have used vans for convenience for many years, and did not like the older, finger cutting top edge adjusting hunter versions much better. i used vans because the put out more water, but are soooo prone to breaking, streaking etc i had enough. plus, they seem to auto adjust. i switched to the new pro hunter vans and will see how they do. they seem better built, with a nice pattern. also, the top adjusting ring is now thicker and ribbed and it makes it easier to use. i think it seems the fixed dont water quite the way i like, so i rarely use them. the quarters are the worst!! i swear they dont water a full 90, or if they do, then the concrete aint even close, therefor i use vans to match the area.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i have used vans for convenience for many years, and did not like the older, finger cutting top edge adjusting hunter versions much better. i used vans because the put out more water, but are soooo prone to breaking, streaking etc i had enough. plus, they seem to auto adjust. i switched to the new pro hunter vans and will see how they do. they seem better built, with a nice pattern. also, the top adjusting ring is now thicker and ribbed and it makes it easier to use. i think it seems the fixed dont water quite the way i like, so i rarely use them. the quarters are the worst!! i swear they dont water a full 90, or if they do, then the concrete aint even close, therefor i use vans to match the area.
Im with you on the 90's sometimes you need that little more arc on a corner. I always find it amusing when I go to turn down a van and the screw drops in and the top comes off {sigh} if only people could figure out what screen to use.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

glad i am not the only one who thinks that. that is prob half the reason i use vans or some sort, better matches to turf and non turf lines. i have some toro fixed sprays on some systems, and they are horrible about getting enough water ont he edges of a 90 or 180 for ex. i use the vans to stretch the arc a bit more behind the head to cover along the edge better.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have at least 30 psi at the nozzles, you should get good 90-degree patterns from fixed nozzles.