Register free!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, there are a few times a van is needed. Angles just over the standard fixed. But designed correctly and you can make fixed work. Being strictly maintenance gives me the ability to see more of what works and what doesn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Agreed, sometimes these nozzles have their place here and there. But otherwise, the fact VAN's that are <12' do not have matched precipitation rates is a perfect reason not to use them. Just look at the charts, the PR's are all over the place. Mix and match a bunch of VAN's on a zone and wasted water is all but assured.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The site where I used the VANs by the driveway has a zone of Hunter PS sprays. They don't hold their arcs all that well.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would rather throw in a fixed nozzle, but the handiest VAN nozzles to have IMO are the 4' 6' and the 18' I know hunter makes the 17' Q H and A but Hunter's vans dont have the trajectory that RBs do. Its probably been said vut VANs look real pretty when you first install and adjust but pretty soon the pattern and the arc loses its consistency. The old Hunter design seems to have a tendency to turn into a full circle and then have to be replaced.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Only time vans are good are less then a 90. Even then I try to use an end strip.

I would rather have overspray with a TT, TQ or full then a Van that has horrible DU, and over water usage
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I would rather have overspray with a TT, TQ or full then a Van that has horrible DU, and over water usage
I'm with you on this one. I'd rather overspray onto a sidewalk, into some areas of rock/mulch, or even a driveway, than use a van.
I have also replaced so many that are all screwed up, no matter how I turn the collar, it is still doing a distorted 360. Won't close down, won't unclog, won't do anything but 360.

jbell36 - my apologies. Clueless was probably the wrong word and not necessary.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
talked to a distributor today that sells all brands...his point was a lot of maintenance only tech's will mostly only stock van's so they only have to stock 7 nozzles as opposed to 36 or so, and new systems will be fixed because they are cheaper and the installer knows exactly what he needs at the time of the install...the clogging issue happens to both, and it seems if you close and open the vans a couple times that usually does the trick, a little easier than fixed...he did say they usually put out a higher GPM than fixed...but is that technically a problem? couldn't you just turn the time down on the clock?
I'm still trying to figure out which 36 nozzles from the hundred or so I stock I would keep
Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I'm still trying to figure out which 36 nozzles from the hundred or so I stock I would keep
Same here. I probably have 2-3 times that many configurations. Although I got away from stocking anything under 8', and I rarely even have too many of the 8' anyway. Anything that small and under has a very tine orifice, and they get clogged so much faster. Anything from 4'-7' in my truck is probably a used nozzle that I took out somewhere. Also, I only by the undercut style anymore, unless they don't make it in the configuration I need.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I installed with 8's and 5's here and there, so I'm stuck keeping them around. It does reinforce the argument that I can charge five bucks for a nozzle, on account of the inventory costs me over a grand.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is what I do too. Keep a selection of VAN's for quick repairs, if the client wants more than a broken head or missing nozzle fixed than I suggest the MP's. Sometimes retrofitting just one or a few stations at a time.