Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

best trailer tire to buy

Hey guys iv been buying load star 205 75 d15 tires and have found them to be total crap. They are about $120 on the rim brand new but I guess I am getting what im paying for. If any of yall have or are currently using a tire that has performed well let me know. I'm having to switch y tires out every year sometimes more than once a year. I don't drive a rediculous amount of miles in a year either. Thanks for any input given.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

None of them last as long as I would like, but the Maxxis M8008 is better than most.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have Goodyear Marathon radial trailer tires on mine. They're in their third year on my trailer. I do a lot of really tight turns which is really hard on tires with a tandem axle.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just put some Hankooks on my trailer but had some cheepos that lasted about 4 years. Either way go to http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

and find what you want. They will be at your door by UPS in 2 days or so. I have a local guy that mounts them for me. I have used this company twice so far and they are awesome. I have saved over 300 bucks on tires from here. BTW I am not a paid spokesman for them either, just a happy customer who wants to share a place to save with everyone. Good Luck.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If your trailer sports double axles it is going to wear tires fast and it doesn't matter how much money you spend, it's that double axle trailers "drag" their tires in the turns, on a double axle trailer that is the main reason why they wear. The only other reason would be the use of bias plies but if you're spending far north of $100 a tire then it's because your trailer sports double axles and there is little that can be done about that, stick to radials made for trailers and stay away from automotive performance tires... The Milestar and the Turnpike come to mind, both 6-ply C rated run around $80 each but again if your trailer has double axles they're not going to last the 3-4 years they would last on a single axle trailer.

Last edited by herler; 07-13-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truitt Lawn Maintenance View Post
Hey guys iv been buying load star 205 75 d15 tires and have found them to be total crap. They are about $120 on the rim brand new but I guess I am getting what im paying for. If any of yall have or are currently using a tire that has performed well let me know. I'm having to switch y tires out every year sometimes more than once a year. I don't drive a rediculous amount of miles in a year either. Thanks for any input given.
Posted via Mobile Device
The 'd' of d15 indicates that those are bias belted tires. 'R' is radial. Earlier this season I got 4 Carlisle trailer tires 205 75 R14's mounted on rims on sale for $642 and thought that was a good deal. I generally like Carlisle tires for trailers amd mowers.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

ive tried carslile,load star and goodyear marathon and they all last about the same on my 16 ft tandem enclosed i go now with the best price
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I stopped by a local tire shop that sells used tires and found a pair of 10 ply tires made for the MB Sprint vans. They are worn even and have 1/2 the tread left. I imagine they will last a few years instead of a season. They are one size larger then the oem tire too. A few weeks later after buying a new/used truck a year ago, the front tires were ate off. I got ripped on the truck. They had brand new tires on it, said it was good to go. Well, it pulled to the right and they said they aligned it. I finally gave up on the A holes at the place. I went back to the same tire place and found 4 tires 1 size bigger then oem and they are also 10 ply. Had them straighten the front end and now it rides like a caddie. Even with a hard rubber tire.

Try to find the hardest rubber or thickest ply rating you can get. They will last WAY longer then any dedicated trailer tire in that size.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't know the D meant bias ply but definitely if you're running bias there's your problem, run radials.

On trucks we look into LRR tires (Low Rolling Resistance, like tractor trailer tires, they are made of Hard rubber).
The drawback is in the handling, you HAVE to drive them nice.

Last edited by herler; 07-13-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We just put duro radials on my dads work trailer. Hopelly they last a little while. The trailer is 8.5x14ft. But hopelly they do good.