Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Efco Blowers - opinions

I'll admit it, have been using a homeowner blower for 5 years now and it has worked just fine until recently, as I can tell it is starting to wear down.

I need a new handheld blower, and my dealer carries Efco. Anyone out there use Efco Blowers at all? Any opinions? Weight would be my key issue, looks like these handhelds run about 10 lbs.

http://www.efcopower.com/products/blowers

Thx!
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is that all the dealer carries? I would personally go more main stream, Stihl, Echo, Shindy, Red Max just because parts and if you decide to change dealers most likely you will find another dealer carrying that brand somewhat nearby. Guessing price point for most handhelds are pretty close in the price point.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes my main repair guy doesn't retail much equipment but does do Efco. 5 year warranty on their equipment.

Also have a Stihl guy in town so can go that route too.
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about their other handhelds, but they make great chainsaws. However, I think the advice you've been given to stay with a recognized brand is sound.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an Efco blower (model SA3000) in 2009. It has good performance and is pretty quiet.

I have had the on/off switch replaced due to a service bulletin on them but the replacement switch hasn't worked any better.

It has NOT been one of my better starting handhelds and has gotten worse this year averaging 6-9 pulls before I can keep it running. I have had to carry it to the dealer to get the carb adjusted a couple of times. It takes a special type screw driver to do this.

After the last trouble with the switch and the harder starting, i recently bought an Echo (model PB 255). It will cold start on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. It has about the same power as the Efco and I also think it weighs a little less.

Efco may have redesigned/gone to a different switch now and maybe most of them will start easier than mine will but I sure like the new Echo blower alot.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Razor, not a great review on the Efco, eh?

Maybe I'll gather a few more thoughts and see if I should move away from Efco.
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DA just go get the Husqvarna 125B from Lowes. Also since it is more than halfway through the season, get the store manager over there when buying and barter a deal on it. We bought 4 of them last year(which was all they had on hand at the time) out the door for 120 each.
Does Podein's carry Husq? Thought they were Stihl only.

Also whether you get a Husqvarna or a Stihl, make sure after a few tanks of gas(about 3) have your mechanic guy replace the spark plug and adjust the carb for you.

Another huge point is to use non-oxygenated(real gas) in them when you mix the oil and gas. Fleet Farm has a single 91 octane non-ethanol pump. The gas never sits in their tanks as it sells like crazy there. Not sure about Throndson gas station though.

On the 125B's we have after the break in tanks and carb adjustment, simple as 5 pumps on the primer, turn choke to full closed, one to two not hard pulls on the rope and they fire everytime. Onto half choke, one not hard pull and fires up like butter. 10 seconds on choke and switch choke to full run, give her the full squeeze on the trigger for a few seconds and they are warm and ready to blow.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZLawnPros View Post
DA just go get the Husqvarna 125B from Lowes. Also since it is more than halfway through the season, get the store manager over there when buying and barter a deal on it. We bought 4 of them last year(which was all they had on hand at the time) out the door for 120 each.

Also whether you get a Husqvarna or a Stihl, make sure after a few tanks of gas(about 3) have your mechanic guy replace the spark plug and adjust the carb for you.

Another huge point is to use non-oxygenated(real gas) in them when you mix the oil and gas. Fleet Farm has a single 91 octane non-ethanol pump. The gas never sits in their tanks as it sells like crazy there. Not sure about Throndson gas station though.

On the 125B's we have after the break in tanks and carb adjustment, simple as 5 pumps on the primer, turn choke to full closed, one to two not hard pulls on the rope and they fire everytime. Onto half choke, one not hard pull and fires up like butter. 10 seconds on choke and switch choke to full run, give her the full squeeze on the trigger for a few seconds and they are warm and ready to blow.

I agree the Husky 125 is a great blower. I've had mine for four or five years and never had trouble. Probably the best piece of equipment I have in terms of reliability and productivity. Still have never pulled the original plug or adjusted anything on it. I've put alot of hours on it too.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No Podein's only has Stihl and I haven't looked at theirs closely yet. Jim's in HF is where I get my service and he carries Efco.

I will make note of the Husq model but not buying from a big box. I want to shop local so likely it will come down to the models I can get service on.
Also not using non-ethanol gas. No way am I going to use that stuff, on principle (we live in a corn growing state).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZLawnPros View Post

Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DA, does your dealer only sell Efco, or does he have other handheld lines?