Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2003, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Chemical Work

We have started a chemical service in the Dallas area, and I am trying to figure out the best ways to reach potential customers. I am thinking about approaching some of the other landscapers in the area to see if they will sub business to us, but we also do maintanance and i'm wondering if they will let us on their properties. Have any of you guys tried this strategy?
Old 01-07-2003, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest drawback with you being in the cutting end of the biz as well is that theres no incentive for a non-certified applicator to put you on his/her properties.

If you were strictly chems/fert then I could see them giving you that portion of the work, because you would be refrring maintenance accounts to them in exchange for the referrals.

The other drawback to your situation is are you willing to forego the slice-seeding, power raking, and aerations that accompany your programs because this has been taken care of by the cutter???

Its a very fine line and one that I would scrutinize carefully. You will also need to be prepared to sign non-compete agreements, as most will probably request you do so.

Your best overall bet will probably be trying to find operations where they all their crew(s) tied up cutting and wont have time to take care of the rest.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

chemical startup

well, I'd tell ya how I did it. Of cource the chemical license is the #1 to have, go from door to door business sales. it sounds like a lot of work, but it pays off. alsop I'd go with door hangers. Not the ones you can buy just from a catalogue and stamp your name on them, but personalized ones with your company logo and the whole works. I do about 5000 of them a year, and it seems to work. I'd stay away from tryin to sub contract the fert work from other companys. let's say that you do sub-contract, and all goes well for the first couple of months, and then the company you do the work for decides either not to pay you or that they can do it cheaper if they just did it themselves(just an opinion), then not only are you out of the picture, but the no compete contract will still be in force for at least a few years, and in that contract it stated that you couldn't compete in the same county, then your screwed i'd hate to say. and i'f you break the contract, then they have the right to be dicks and put a lawsuit on you that could put you out of business. I'm not saying everyone will do this, including myself. but if they want to shut you down, they could really put the squeez on ya. better safe that sorry.
nthe only reason i know this is that I'm a subcontractor for a plow company in salt lake city during the winter months, and I signed a no- compete, and I watch my p's and q's with this company, because I've heard this very thing I'm talking about hapen to many guy's who cross the line or screw up in there contracts some how. in the long run, it's best to go the not so easy rout that the fairly smooth rout. hope this helpes.

Richard COffman/ Owner
Old 01-07-2003, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Doorhanger Fliers

If you pass out 5,000 Doorhangers what is your response rate?
Do you offer incentives as well?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2003, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For subbing to keep things straigh, just make up a non compete for his customers.

Getting them there are so many ways that work better for so many people.

Flyers

door to door.

door hangers

direct mailers

coupon packs

to name a few.

This is where you do the research
Old 01-15-2003, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD ALWAYS SUUGEST USING THE TERM "CONTROL PRODUCT". MOST HOMEOWNERS ARE CONSTANTLY BEING TOLD BY MEDIA, HGTV, ETC THAT CHEMICAL/PESTICICES ARE DANGEROUS. IF YOUR'RE LISCENSED YOU SHOW THAT YOU'RE USING PRODUCTS RESPONSIBLY AS WELL AS EDUCATED ENOUGH TO EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS. FOR INSTANCE: DID YOU KNOW THAT THAT SOME THE ELEMENTS FOUND IN FERTILIZER ARE ALSO FOUND IN THAT BOTTLE OF TYLENOL IN YOUR CABINET?. THE BEST WAY TO SELL A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER IS TO ASSURE THEM THAT YOU ARE COMPETENT AND EDUCATED ENOUGH TO APPLY PRODUCTS TO THEIR LAWN IN A SAFE MANNER. IF YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH THIS THEN $ MAY NOT BE AN ISSUE. IF YOUR COMPETITVELY PRICED AND DON'T GET THE LAWN WITH THAT APPROACH YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. THER PROBABLY PRICE SHOPPERS. LET SOMEONE ELSE DEAL WITH THAT. AS TO DEALING WITH LANDSCAPERS IT MAY BE GOOD IDEA AND I HAVE SOME CUSTOMERS WHO GO THIS ROUTE AND IT WORKS. BUT BE CHOOSY WHO YOU DEAL WITH BECAUSE MOST LANDSCAPERS HAVE ENOUGH PROBLEMS PAYING THEIR OWN VENDORS ON TIME.