Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Employees

Every year around summertime, is when it's seems it's a struggle to get guys to want to work. I have decent help but they don't want to put in any saturdays anymore. And summertime hits i usually have a guy or two that decides to get another job. Anyone else have this problem. I pay decent and i have plenty of work lined up at all times. Gonna half to hire another guy I guess.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another reason I have Hispanics work for me. Very loyal and dependable if you pay a good wage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many guys do you have?

Have you thought about hiring one more and rotating them so they would all have some time off and a break from the heat?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's decent pay? Any benefits? Most ads I see want someone to be like a slave pay 10 bucks an hour and no benefits. And only work seasonally. Most want to have work year round. And you can only go so far before you reach the top as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
What's decent pay? Any benefits? Most ads I see want someone to be like a slave pay 10 bucks an hour and no benefits. And only work seasonally. Most want to have work year round. And you can only go so far before you reach the top as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
I start guys at $10 an hr but within a few months there making $12 or so I pay workers comp so there eligible for unemployment through the winter. It just seems that my guys get bored around this time of the year and don't want to work as often, It's probaly more than likely the heat maybe and the hard work. I do make the mistake of hiring guys that are in college that are going to better themselves eventually. I want to make a goal for next season to hire more loyal guys. Benefits would be a nice thing for them to stay around. Any advice that works you guys would be apreciated.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's 10-12 bucks get you? You can't even buy a decent meal with drink for that anymore. Unemployment doesn't pay jack. Before the crappy winter I had people working with. Just one at a time most days. I started to do 10. All had problems. Went to starting at 13 and bumped fast. Each just worked harder. Now they mist know they will reach thier cap faster this way, but it sucks having to keep watching or wondering if they are going show up. Also late shows went away too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

May 2011 Landscape and Grounds worker Mean Annual wages

MN - $27,780
PA - $26,290
TX -$22,540

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes373011.htm

I pay more than the mean wages, 4 day work week, paid holiday, 1 week of vacation and 3 personal days.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
What's 10-12 bucks get you? You can't even buy a decent meal with drink for that anymore. Unemployment doesn't pay jack. Before the crappy winter I had people working with. Just one at a time most days. I started to do 10. All had problems. Went to starting at 13 and bumped fast. Each just worked harder. Now they mist know they will reach thier cap faster this way, but it sucks having to keep watching or wondering if they are going show up. Also late shows went away too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Unemployment isn't supposed to pay jack. Extending the gravy train has done nothing to encourage people to get back to work. The majority of applicants I get want cash under the table so they can continue getting the handouts.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Unemployment isn't supposed to pay jack. Extending the gravy train has done nothing to encourage people to get back to work. The majority of applicants I get want cash under the table so they can continue getting the handouts.
UE is supposed to help you find a job. There are no jobs.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
Another reason I have Hispanics work for me. Very loyal and dependable if you pay a good wage.
Posted via Mobile Device
And all these hispanics are here legally?
Posted via Mobile Device