Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Guys be safe changing blades. I almost lost my hand due to using the wrong piece of equipment to jack up my mower. I was lifting it up and went to stick jack stand under it and bam it slipped off and smashed my hand between the bottom of the deck and jack stand. I almost lost my hand and was very very lucky! I would recommend a mo jack or something safe like that. I have a Kubota so I have the built in jack now. Safety first!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I would like to heed your advice but I can't quite envision how this happened. How did your hand come to be on top of the jackstand?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good question and one I can't answer. Only thing I can think is when it fell I jerked and that's how. It all happened so fast that I have no clue how my hand got in the way. The mower was sitting on the ground not on the jack stand after the fact so the stand may have kicked back out of the way. All I know is I was holding my hand walking around in a daze with blood running all over the place. I crushed most of my hand and the had to take bone from my arm to add in my fingers. I now have a plate with several screws and only about half the ability in my hand. Needless to say I am very careful when I am sharpening blades or scrapping the deck now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Drive one wheel up on a car ramp, slide 3 ton jack under front lip of deck and a couple pumps later and it is all the way up. Quick and easy.
Bingo! And if you don't have a ramp take a 4 ft piece of 2x4 put it under the lip of the deck raise it up to slide in your jack. So so easy and why of why do these guys spend their money on all these jacking devices that can't be used for anything else.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use the ramp on the truck...I'm cheap, and it works. The cool thing is, it works with many different kinds of mowers. I have lifted the entire mower with bobcat forks and put safety pin in the lift and removed blades that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I would like to heed your advice but I can't quite envision how this happened. How did your hand come to be on top of the jackstand?
Kubota only jacks one side doesnt it? Ours does.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do people spend money on a jack that you can only do to use to get under the mower? Really if that is your argument then you are going to end up like me with a bad hand or worse! A Jungle Jim jack cost pennies when you think how much use you get out of it. The tool I was using to jack up the mower when I got hurt was a 2x4. What happened was it flipped to the flat side and snapped and the rest is history as they say. If you wanna take the risk then that is your choice but take a little advise and don't be stupid and spend a little money on a proper tool to safely lift your equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
The tool I was using to jack up the mower when I got hurt was a 2x4. What happened was it flipped to the flat side and snapped and the rest is history as they say.
Ah... You left this little detail out of the original story.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 2 floor jacks and a couple pieces of wood block to hold up the Grandstand. No more specialty jacks for me, I have a quad/motorcycle jack that sits in one if my sheds collecting dust. Since the drought started, I can't remember the last time I sharpened the blades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

MoJack here. Has saved me tons of time & trouble over the last 4 years. I use it for the ZTR, Stander, and walk-behinds. For the walk-behinds, i just let the deck rest on the front bar- no need to adjust wheel holders every time.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Im using the mower. Hehe.