Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

23 hp Kawasaki governor problem

I have a hustler fast track with a FH680V as38 23 hp kawasaki motor that is giving me a problem. I tore the motor down and replaced all the governor parts. I found the old plastic ball guide all broke and all the ball bearings in the bottom of the sump. While I had it apart I went through the whole case and oil pump and cleaned all debris and washed the entire crank case out. Reassembled and set governor according to the manual. After getting the motor remounted on the mower she cranked right up and sounded good. Took it for a test run and kicked the blades in and mowed a few strips in the yard. All went well. Loaded the mower and on the first job I noticed that when I would turn the motor throttle up for an instance and then right back down to normal rpm's. After about 15 minutes bam the rpm's went out of site and had to shut it down immediately. Now I know what I am going to find when I tear it back down. And I am thinking that the bottom snap ring had to of given out for the governor plates to separate and release the bearings. If so I am going to have to replace the cam I am thinking but wont know until I get it tore back down. I thought maybe somebody here has had the same experience and maybe give me a little insight on this. Thanks in advance Robert
Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Either the governor fork installed backwards or the washer is missing on the camshaft...maybe the snapring slipped..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

according to the manual the fork was in correct position and was never removed. And the washer was installed under the governor plate hub as required. I checked both snap rings when I installed them to make sure they were both seated in the grooves. So I don't know... It is a lot of work removing and tearing down and reassembling and re installing the motor on that mower and before I go through the process again I want to make sure it is the last time.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The washer is a shim between the sump and the cam...
Did you try to adjust the governor again...might have slipped...

You're not the first one that had to go back inside an engine...
Its not supposed to be enjoyable..though it will make you a better mechanic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_B View Post
according to the manual the fork was in correct position and was never removed. And the washer was installed under the governor plate hub as required. I checked both snap rings when I installed them to make sure they were both seated in the grooves. So I don't know... It is a lot of work removing and tearing down and reassembling and re installing the motor on that mower and before I go through the process again I want to make sure it is the last time.
I'll give ya a little tip/hint about snap ring installation. There's a "right" way and a wrong way to install em!!
A snap ring is stamped out in a die. Thus, one side will have a sharp edge, and the other side will have a sorta rounded edge. Some rings have more pronounced edges than others, but it's there, trust me! Lay one on a flat surface and look from the side, you'll see what I mean. I just use my thumb to feel it. But I been wrenchin' for a while .......
So.... what ya wanna do is make sure the sharp side is positioned to "dig" into the groove when thrust/side loads are applied.
In other words, if you were securing a ball bearing on a shouldered shaft, you would put the snap ring on sharp side out.

Another thing, do not reuse a snap ring, no matter how good it looks! Especially on any internal engine/ trans. work!!
But, having said that, we all have at one time or another!!!

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 07-15-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes that was the first thing I did was try to adjust the governor again. And yes the shim was in place. that was the last piece to go on before putting the sump back on. I have ordered the new snap rings and the ball guide and will have it tore back down tomorrow. Will post what I find.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I'll give ya a little tip/hint about snap ring installation. There's a "right" way and a wrong way to install em!!
A snap ring is stamped out in a die. Thus, one side will have a sharp edge, and the other side will have a sorta rounded edge. Some rings have more pronounced edges than others, but it's there, trust me! Lay one on a flat surface and look from the side, you'll see what I mean. I just use my thumb to feel it. But I been wrenchin' for a while .......
So.... what ya wanna do is make sure the sharp side is positioned to "dig" into the groove when thrust/side loads are applied.
In other words, if you were securing a ball bearing on a shouldered shaft, you would put the snap ring on sharp side out.

Another thing, do not reuse a snap ring, no matter how good it looks! Especially on any internal engine/ trans. work!!
But, having said that, we all have at one time or another!!!

Thanks BigFish, That I did not think of and will be sure to place the snap rings on with the sharp edge towards the bottom. I am almost sure that is what had to of happened. The snap ring had to of come out of the groove to allow the governor plates to open enough to throw the bearings out.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

OK finally got the parts in and tore the engine back down only to find the governor still in tack and the ACR in pieces. Not sure exactly how this works and why it came apart. I found the ACR compression release weight in the bottom of the sump and was very fortunate that it did not cause any damage to the crank, piston skirts or cylinder walls. I found a small ball bearing like is used in the pressure release on the oil pump also in the bottom of the sump. I am guessing it came out of the middle of the cam and had something to do with the ACR. Could any body confirm this for me or do I need to start looking else where.
Thanks Bob
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the ACR necessary ??

After looking through all the manuals I could find and searching everything on the internet I found that the acr opens the exhaust valves at no or minimal rpms for easy starting. This mower has been down for over a week now and I would have to wait another 5 days for a new cam to get here. Has anybody ever done away with the acr ?? I know it will start a little harder but should not affect the performance of the engine once started. Am I correct ??
Old 07-21-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It may kick back to the point of breaking the starter. Rest assured, there nothing in that engine that shouldn't be. (except you)
Now's the time to do a through inspection.