Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are String Trimmers Like Light Bulbs?

I was doing a one-time fall cleanup today and had a little time left in my budget so went ahead and started trimming. The guy mows his lawn himself and doesn't trim. Everything else looked good so I wanted to sharpen things up a bit.

So I fired up my trusty Shindaiwa M231 that has been my primary trimmer for lawn maintenance for several years. It started bogging down a bit so I thought I had some tall grass/weeds wrapped around it. So I go to untangle it and the head is spinning freely at idle...in fact it's spinning fast, the equivalent of 1/3 throttle or so. I'm like, OK, that's weird but decide to leave it at that for the time being and continue trimming. Well it starts getting boggy and dies. It was low on gas and I thought maybe it just needed fuel but it was getting dark so I grabbed another power head (my M2500) and finished up the job.

When I got back to the shop I put a little fuel in it to see if it would fire up. Nothing...it turns over but does not fire at all. This unit is typical of my Shindaiwa equipment in that it typically only takes 1 or 2 pulls to start it, so I'm sure something is wrong.

So I'm wondering....they say that light bulbs burn brighter just before they burn out...it's weird that it started running fast and then just died. Is this symptomatic of something that any of you guys are aware of? It's not the end of the world if it's dead, I have other trimmers, but this one is my favorite for light trimming while mowing. It has a LOT of hours on it too so it's not like it owes me anything.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Check the spark, maybe the coil is bad.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

darryl,
My BR320 did that same exact thing early this past fall. I was puzzled, because it did it after it had been running great for quite a few minutes (maybe 15 min or so). I started checking it over, and it took a while, but I found I had a crack in the fuel line in the last half inch of line right before it went into the carb. I had enough slack, so I cut out that section, and it fired right back up, and it has run strong ever since.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually it's been weeping a little fuel when stored for the last week or so...I haven't had a chance to really look it over. Fuel lines are original so that's definitely something to check. I also have an M240 that's been retired to backup and most of the parts on that are the same as the 241. That one is pretty tired...seized it once, cylinder walls are all scored, but it runs. I think I put wrong gas in and I know it ran for a while with the air filter out...dropped out and didn't notice...possible parts machine.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to say it is out of gas so that goes along with Ridin Green's situation.

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, the weeping fuel I found along the gas tank below the carb is what got me to looking at the lines. I really couldn't see anything, even after taking the line off the carb the first time. I squeezed it all along the section of line that was exposed enough I could get my fingertips on it, and I still didn't see the crack. I re-installed it and noticed within seconds that it was getting damp again, and from the top down, so I took it off, and really checked the top end of it. I thought I detected a small crack in the last 1/4"- 1/3", so I cut off about 5/8" or so, and stuck it back on the carb inlet. Problem solved.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So it would run fast at idle because it was running lean maybe?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had couple trimmers act up and in botj cases it was the fuel lines. Dealer said the ethanol is making them crack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shindaiwa equipment sucks...it never dies! How am I supposed to justify buying new toys if my old ones won't die, lol. I actually bought a new blower because my older EB630 was running like crap, turned out that the carb was just a little loose...it's fine now, still a little tired but fine.

Ok, so check fuel line first, then coil, if that isn't it try a BFH on it?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
So it would run fast at idle because it was running lean maybe?
Yea, that's what I figured was happening to mine, and it turned out it was.

If you really want to replace it, leave it sitting on your tailgate while you go into the store LOL