Register free!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Clean all the valves and presurize the system; it'll tell you how many valves need to be repaired.

If you can't get parts, buy the valves and gut them.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I would open the 5 valves you know are not working. Then you know what you need and don't over buy. I always buy the whole valve and gut it. The price I pay for the guts is not that much cheaper than buying the whole thing. Then you have a spare solenoid when you need it.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Generally I can buy the valve for not much more either... but these being 1.5 in the valve price is quite a bit more.. $45, compared to the diaphragm being $12....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

That is much cheaper. Last time I went and picked up just a diaphragm, they wanted $40 for it! Seemed a little off to me. $12 is more reasonable.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check the valves, d a.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

would u guys go ahead and crack open all 20 of them? I hate to do that but not knowing how many are bad and or dirty sucks specially when nobody has these in stock and r onbackorder. I'm literally having to buy 2 at a time from many different companies because everyone is out....I can tell I've got some weeping by though cause I can hear.it flowing slightly at the Pvb. Its causing other zones to not fully pop up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not dismantle all of them, if you charge T&M?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This job was bid ad a whole..landscaping, getting irrigation running, mulching, laying drain pipe, and sod work. I don't wanna invest to much in this or I'd be cutting my own throat some.... I'm still way in the green but out of the 20 valves...about 10 boxes r full of dirt with valves in there buried... I hate digging dirt outta boxes since I'm not getting paid for t and m...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only need to do what's necessary to get system running nothing more. These people r tight. Its low income housing Apts.., meaning they have there maintenance man (fix) the system as he chops heads off... LOL they will not maintain this after I leave.. hence why it was inoperable for about the last 5 yrs.... I was totally mislead by the apt manager when I bid this job. I was told it was running last year and only had a few heads messed up..... so far I've found 2 main breaks 2" and 1.5", several laterals broke. Many heads chopped off and buried 2" under dirt,wires cut in 3 places, and now valves not fully closing.... they don't and I believe wont pay a penny more than my "estimate. Not a bid, but specifically says estimate on paper. So I need to do this as cheap as possible as I cannot walk off this job because I ha e over 5g in it as of right now... and I imagine they wouldn't pay me for work already done...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by woodlawnservice; 07-16-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
This job was bid ad a whole..landscaping, getting irrigation running, mulching, laying drain pipe, and sod work. I don't wanna invest to much in this or I'd be cutting my own throat some.... I'm still way in the green but out of the 20 valves...about 10 boxes r full of dirt with valves in there buried... I hate digging dirt outta boxes since I'm not getting paid for t and m...
Posted via Mobile Device
2 words wet/dry SHOP VAC
Posted via Mobile Device