Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Yardguy wrote:

"the main reason and I'm surprised someone else hasn't thought of this is "grooming" of the clients. I don't want my clients thinking I'm at there disposal 24/7 that they can just call me whenever they want with there concerns."

Excellent point yardguy, I have been thinking about this myself. Some of my clients call at wierd hours, nights, sundays. It is irritating. Might take your advice. However, I have found that some people call and don't leave a message and don't call back. Maybe their not worth dealling with anyway.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the only time that customers calling after hours becomes a problem is if you are using your cell phone as your main business line. That's not the way to do it, guys. Everyone should have a separate business line at their home or office. And that is the main line that you use for your business. It's the number you put on your business cards, flyers, website, advertisements, etc. Now, if you want to forward that phone to your cell phone during the day, fine! But then when you get home, you take off the forwarding and turn off the ringer. After hours, people just get a voicemail and can leave a message.

If you're using your cell phone as your main business line and then are irritated that people are calling you after hours, that's your own fault for setting it all up the wrong way.

This is a business guys! Why do you think so many people look down on our industry and look at us as lawn jockeys and lawn boys? Run it like any normal business would!

It's not abnormal for people to call after hours. But most people aren't expecting you to answer. It's just a convenient time for them to call you and leave a message. They're expecting to get a machine. When you answer the phone at 8:00 at night or on a Saturday afternoon, they're like, "Oh! I was expecting to get a machine. Sorry to bother you. But...um.... I was looking for a bid on..." I call businesses all the time after hours. But I don't reach the owner live. That would be ridiculous! I am just leaving a message about what I want from that business, hoping they'll call me back in the morning. That's all your customers are doing too. So keep your business line separate from your cell phone and turn off forwarding after normal business hours and this won't happen.

Also, quit using your home phone as your business line as well. That's also un-professional. If you want to be respected as a professional business owner, you actually have to BE professional.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim i wish you lived in my neck of the woods, i wouldn't think twice about getting you to design & install the landscape at my new house! You do very detailed work, website is awesome and very professional! some of the best work I've seen on lawnsite thats forsure!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
I think the only time that customers calling after hours becomes a problem is if you are using your cell phone as your main business line. That's not the way to do it, guys. Everyone should have a separate business line at their home or office. And that is the main line that you use for your business. It's the number you put on your business cards, flyers, website, advertisements, etc. Now, if you want to forward that phone to your cell phone during the day, fine! But then when you get home, you take off the forwarding and turn off the ringer. After hours, people just get a voicemail and can leave a message.

If you're using your cell phone as your main business line and then are irritated that people are calling you after hours, that's your own fault for setting it all up the wrong way.

This is a business guys! Why do you think so many people look down on our industry and look at us as lawn jockeys and lawn boys? Run it like any normal business would!

It's not abnormal for people to call after hours. But most people aren't expecting you to answer. It's just a convenient time for them to call you and leave a message. They're expecting to get a machine. When you answer the phone at 8:00 at night or on a Saturday afternoon, they're like, "Oh! I was expecting to get a machine. Sorry to bother you. But...um.... I was looking for a bid on..." I call businesses all the time after hours. But I don't reach the owner live. That would be ridiculous! I am just leaving a message about what I want from that business, hoping they'll call me back in the morning. That's all your customers are doing too. So keep your business line separate from your cell phone and turn off forwarding after normal business hours and this won't happen.

Also, quit using your home phone as your business line as well. That's also un-professional. If you want to be respected as a professional business owner, you actually have to BE professional.
it's cheaper to just use the cell phone as a business phone instead of having a seperate line and messing with forwarding calls and all that b/s.

I'm not irritated at all by people calling outside of business hours. when my phone rings if it isn't a name in my contacts I just don't answer it. if they don't leave a message no call back ever. plain and simple. if I don't want to hear my phone ring I just turn the ringer off.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
it's cheaper to just use the cell phone as a business phone instead of having a seperate line....
Yep. It's definitely cheaper that way. You're right about that.

If that's your main concern is how cheap everything is, then yah, forget what I said about being professional, running a proper business, etc. What do I know....

Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I'm not a professional then, because a cell phone is my only phone. Have you ever even used a smart phone, very versatile and very efficient. Plan on keeping it that way too.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm gonna ignore Jim on that grassman.

any business owner knows you try to keep expenses down.

it's my opinion having a seperate business phone with a system to forward calls to my cell phone is an unnecessary expense. at least for my solo business it is. I can take calls from the cell. and as I said before calls outside of business hours don't irritate me, I just ignore them.

so why do I need a seperate business line???
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've been using a cell phone as my home phone for as long as i can remember in order to save money, and will continue to do so. I understand what jim is saying though as im sure you guys do too. i think jim has a much bigger business that requires him to have a second line in order to save time and not be bothered on the job. But for us solo guys who dont want to grow that big, its a perfect solution in order to keep costs down.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a land line, fax line and 3 cell lines.