Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

eXmark 36" - Trans Belt

First off, thanks in advance for anyone help anyone might be able to offer. Due to my limited experience in the area of commercial mowers - I might get a little long winded as I try to explain exactly what the problem is.

I purchased a used 36" eXmark walk-behind mower. During the first mow, I noticed a belt (that looked a little tattered) fell off and the mower stopped propelling itself. I took the belt to my local Ace Hardware (which is an eXmark seller) and asked for a replacement. They explained that the belt that fell off, doesn't go with the mower I was describing.

The model number of the mower is:
36-12.5k

and the serial number is:
41316-119

Those numbers are found engraved on a silver plate on the back of the mower (under the controls).

The number on the belt that fell off is:

As I tried to explain exactly which belt I needed to replace, the very patient mechanic searched through several different options and models, but couldn't seem to find one that matched my mower exactly. I might have confused the issue because as I was trying to search for the part number myself, I assumed the mower to be a Metro (because that was the search result that came up the most).

He eventually gave me a rotary belt #12-5067 (1/2" x 34").

I was able to get that belt on, but it was extremely tight. When I cranked the mower, and released the brakes, the mower popped a wheelie (and it was in low gear).

Once I realized that the belt wasn't correct, I started back at square 1... aka, google search.

I finally found what I thought to be the answer to my prayers. I found this website that seemed to list eXactly what part I needed for my mower (assuming I could select it from the tiny drawing).

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=e...999+%281989%29

I went back to the store, and picked up the belt I believed to be the correct belt. When I placed it on the pulleys, it seemed a little loose. The belt worked for the low gear, but as soon as I tried to change into a higher gear, the belt fell off.

The belt I bought is:
eXmark MFG Co Inc 403018 DF (what is printed on the belt).

So my question (I apologize for the long-windedness), is am I getting the wrong belts? Or am I missing something? Or is it possible that someone has altered the pulley system and I need to be looking for different belts...

After a week of this, I'm at a loss - short of sending the mower to be looked at by a professional... I'm just one of those strange breeds that likes to learn so that I will be able to maintain my equipment in the future.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you adjusting an idler pulley with each belt installation? Is there an arced slot in the engine deck (between engine and transmission, with a bolt and pulley mounted in it that rides the back side of your trans belt? If so loosen the nut and set that so there is a 1/2 to 5/8" deflection in longerst span of the belt.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
Are you adjusting an idler pulley with each belt installation? Is there an arced slot in the engine deck (between engine and transmission, with a bolt and pulley mounted in it that rides the back side of your trans belt? If so loosen the nut and set that so there is a 1/2 to 5/8" deflection in longerst span of the belt.
Thank you for the post - I will climb under it in the morning and take a picture, because I have to be honest and say I understood about half of what you were saying.

For the drive belt, there are two pullies that the belt wraps around, then there is a wheel that as you go into a higher gear, presses against the belt (to seemingly add tension to the belt).

Does that answer your question?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure, but would guess that the following link is for your unit.

http://www.4emweb.com/sis.asp?code=E...e=47100421.htm

I haven't seen a Metro in 3 or 4 years, but the idler should be adjustable--follow 44's advice.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried again this morning to get the belt to work. I adjusted the pulley that adds tension to the belt (what I believe you are calling the idling pulley). When I cranked the mower and tried to move forward - not only was there no response - but the belt fell off again, this time with a large chunk being cut out.

I still wonder if it's not the wrong belt for this particular model. I followed the link dutch provided, and that belt has a different model number... but as he stated it is for a Metro (which as far as I can tell, isn't the correct model of this mower)

The model numbers for the metro's all seem to start with "M" - where as this model number doesn't begin with a letter.

Any other suggestions?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For some reason I didn't find this info on Exmarks website.

http://www.patspower.com/pages/OemPa...10041/10040047

This link if for an Exmark Standard 5 speed with model and serial numbers that match up. According to the info it's a 1989 model. Take a look, it's the best that I could come up with.

If this unit isn't similar, you might explore the site more thoroughly than I did.

Last edited by dutch1; 07-16-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You have a variable speed transmission...
The different speeds are attained by the spring loaded adjustable pulley on the crankshaft...the pulley is probably stuck or rusted....
Spray it with a lubricant or remove it and free everything up...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
For some reason I didn't find this info on Exmarks website.

http://www.patspower.com/pages/OemPa...10041/10040047

This link if for an Exmark Standard 5 speed with model and serial numbers that match up. According to the info it's a 1989 model. Take a look, it's the best that I could come up with.

If this unit isn't similar, you might explore the site more thoroughly than I did.
Thanks for the link - that's actually the same parts list I was looking at when I purchased the most recent belt (the one that I tried today).

I was wondering if it was the wrong belt, simply because this manual lists it as a 32", instead of a 36". 1-403018 is the belt I tried today. I should also note, that none of the belts I've tried fits in the groove of the idler pulley - they all seem to catch the outside of the pulley (as opposed to sitting in the groove of the other two.

Also, just out of curiosity - everything I've seen listed says that this model is a 5 speed - but the configuration I have only has 4 notches for speed... is that normal? I know the previous owner has made some changes (no dead man's switch), but the speed handle (the one that pushes the pulley onto the trans belt) only has 4 holes.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't spend a lot of time checking out the diagram since I was searching for proper model numbers. It didn't hit me until I noticed the single speed transmission in your last picture.

I'd say Slapper is all over your problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You have a variable speed transmission...
The different speeds are attained by the spring loaded adjustable pulley on the crankshaft...the pulley is probably stuck or rusted....
Spray it with a lubricant or remove it and free everything up...
Posted via Mobile Device
That explains it, thanks for clearing it up for me. Now that I understand that, would it be safe to say that I need to be using the Trans belt listed here:

http://www.4emweb.com/sis.asp?code=E...e=10030015.htm

#1-303078?

Also, In looking at that diagram - I can't pinpoint which pulley you're talking about (the adjustable one) - just wanted to know should I need to replace it.

I really appreciate the help!

Tags
exmark , problem solving , transmisson