Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sharp,

SEW occasionally strips a damaged engine and sells it as a shortblock.

The thing I don't get is they advertise a OEM warranty on their engines and the OEM's tell us dealers NOT to warranty anything on a discount warehouse engine, So buyer beware.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most likely your local repair guy is correct in what he tells you but being that it involves this much money I would get a second opinion (and maybe a third) on what exactly is wrong with it, now if you want to save money ask your local repair guy if he can match you up on a Briggs and Stratton, the problem with ordering your own engine is there is no warranty support, you might however take a quick peek over at Northern tool.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Sharp~
Here's the link to the Kaw short-block page I ordered from~
(Rob your right, the warranty is no good if you do your own work repair, and it is buyer beware)~
I was just passing along some info to him on where I found a engine that helped me out~

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...&desc=Kawasaki 17hp Vertical 1"x3-5/32" Shaft, Twin Cylinder, OHV, Used by John Deere, SHORT BLOCK ONLY
Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Sharp,

SEW occasionally strips a damaged engine and sells it as a shortblock.

The thing I don't get is they advertise a OEM warranty on their engines and the OEM's tell us dealers NOT to warranty anything on a discount warehouse engine, So buyer beware.....
Is it them or like the one posted above is a JD part. Just wondering if JD requires Kawasaki to supply them with shortblocks for the specs they use? Dunno as we are not a Deere dealer...
Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure, thought it said John Deere, it had the same bolt patterns as my exmark walk-behind turftracer (which it went on) and is running great ....so far~
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just fixed a FH500 that ran just like yours. On my buddy's mower the valve guide moved and the valve stuck open. I pulled the head and carried it to a machine shop and another friend of mine fixed it. Runs good now. So get a second look at it. You may not need to replace the engine, but hows the oil level?
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCutsLawnCare View Post
Last week when I was mowing on my Wright Stander 36" there was a short grinding noise and some smoke then after that the thing still ran but shook violently. I took to to my local repair guy and with little evaluation he said most likely I blew one cylinder and the other is still good which is why it still runs (but poorly). He said that it would be about $1,500 for a new engine plus installation to have it running again. but weary of people in the repair business in general I decided to shop for my own engine on craigslist or ebay etc. so that I can price compare for myself. He told me that it didn't necessarily need to be the same engine it just had to have the same size crankshaft. So basically I was wanting to know....

Is the guy correct on what he is telling me?

Does anyone know of a good source to buy discount engines?

Is anyone knowledgable about what engines would be compatible with my mower?

Does anyone who has gone through this before have any advice they would like to pass along?

MY ENGINE: FH541V KAI 17.0Hp
I was offered a brand new Kohler 28 efi for $1282.00 which includes shipping from Small Engine Warehouse last week, meaning you may want to check their price to compare.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well sadly that 17hp kaw for the Wrights is not a cheap unit. Mine ran $1700 including a new clutch a couple belts. If it is a RH unit drop off the deck before you try to get to the engine it will be easier. And the sad part is that the unit leaks oil from everywhere ....I pulled one off during the winter that leaked at top end the bottom end and the valve covers.

Tags
engine , fh541v , kawasaki , kawasaki fh541v , wright