Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bartering

I don't normally do bartering, but this seems like it could be mutually beneficial.

Mexican gardener stopped me at a mutual client last week to ask whether I could troubleshoot a controller on a small commercial job. Told me he paid some guy $50 to fix it and it still doesn't work right.

Told him I would usually charge more than that, but it's at a small strip mall with a Subway so I stopped for lunch a couple of days ago and took a look.

Hunter Pro-C. Installed 3 years ago. First thing I notice: controller door left unlocked and was probably open for a while because the screw posts on the base module are rusty.

Fixed one issue the last guy screwed up - had one of two spare wires connected to the clock instead of the zone wire. Couldn't get one of three zones to come on... no current passing across that zone post and the common post.

Called the manager of my local Ewing, who put in touch with the new Hunter rep, who fortunately lives in town. Dropped me off a new base module yesterday afternoon and installed it this AM. Voila! Problem solved!

Bulfrano, the gardener, asked how much I'm gonna charge him... I ask, "Are you married?" He says yeah. "Is your wife a good cook?" Sure. "Well then how 'bout you get her to make me a bunch of homemade tamales?"

She's working on them tonight and I'll pick them up early tomorrow morning.
I think it's gonna be a win-win.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha hell yeah. I pay one of my hispanic guys wife to make me lunch everyday for $5(she does for several of my other employees as well). Now i dont even have to stop for lunch much less eat thatgreasy fastfood crap,
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Traded a outdoor clock and moving some heads for a fishing charter. Will probably go next week.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I barter with the owner of tbe local bicycle shop for bikes for me and the kids.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good ideas! A restauant owner asked me to barter once. I didn't but a friend who built a deck for him did and got a few fancy dinners with wine out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I don't normally do bartering, but this seems like it could be mutually beneficial.

Mexican gardener stopped me at a mutual client last week to ask whether I could troubleshoot a controller on a small commercial job. Told me he paid some guy $50 to fix it and it still doesn't work right.

Told him I would usually charge more than that, but it's at a small strip mall with a Subway so I stopped for lunch a couple of days ago and took a look.

Hunter Pro-C. Installed 3 years ago. First thing I notice: controller door left unlocked and was probably open for a while because the screw posts on the base module are rusty.

Fixed one issue the last guy screwed up - had one of two spare wires connected to the clock instead of the zone wire. Couldn't get one of three zones to come on... no current passing across that zone post and the common post.

Called the manager of my local Ewing, who put in touch with the new Hunter rep, who fortunately lives in town. Dropped me off a new base module yesterday afternoon and installed it this AM. Voila! Problem solved!

Bulfrano, the gardener, asked how much I'm gonna charge him... I ask, "Are you married?" He says yeah. "Is your wife a good cook?" Sure. "Well then how 'bout you get her to make me a bunch of homemade tamales?"

Tamales are my new Hot Dog! and I am from Chi Town.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The tamales are great! Enough for several meals. Some even made it to the freezer. He says next week he's going to a ranch for a young pig and will make carnitas and bring me some.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post

Would have been hilarious if he said his wife was Irish and got pissed because you assumed the was also Mexican.

I've bartered with a few customers. Last one I did was with the company that does my truck lettering. The owner needed some work done on his system, got a truck lettered in exchange.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

took advantage of the cats and dogs rain today brought my old bike in to the shop because the rim was bent. The owner said "I need you to add a zone for my girlfriends garden bed". So I left with a straight rim and this. cant wait till it dries out to hit the trails.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To be honest I never thought I would barter, but I have done it a few times now.

First time I worked a day for a guy in exchange for a Chain saw and the other time I had a guy work for me for a few days actually for a set a rims I was selling.

I might have to work for food now.....subway is getting boring, haha