Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
If I needed 20 gpm from a 5/8 (old-style) meter, I use it, and sucks to the water company - those meters are built like tanks
Funny you should mention 5/8 meters and high flow. Just looked at a place tonight with my boss where the homeowner thought he had water hammer whenever the sprinklers came on. But the problem seems to be at the meter. Seems to clunk clunk clunk and the sound is transferred through the gal. water line and through the walls to the point it wakes him up in the middle of the night.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Member

just had my irrigation installed also and grass looks MUCH better a few weeks later.

backyard is destroyed tho hit alot of roots and rocks. i am just going to seed in september to fix and work my ass off to get the best dame lawn in the area HAHAHAHA
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

We must have pics in order to see where you're coming from!!!! And lots of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
well it's finished, ended up with 6 zones and 34 T3 heads. SL800 controller and SLW15 wireless weatherstation.

All but 2 heads hit each other during operation and primarily 2-3gpm nozzles were used, anywhere I place a rain gauge I get .4-.5" per hour.

I have it set to auto with clay type soil, .5" per hour and will let it decide runtimes... it's been calculating temperatures but not defecit yet, might take a few days of data and resorts to standard until then?

Only gripe I have is a lot of the yard got torn up, I have new topsoil and seed in the places where the valve boxes and whatnot went, pretty much an awful time of the year to grew new grass so i'll deal with it more come sept 1

Also wish weathermatic had a WIFI / app control I could use my phone/web as the device.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

what rain settings are recommended? it's set to off for 24hrs after a rain event and the sensor is set @ 1/8"... we're supposed to get .75-1.0 inch today, should I just turn it off? I dont' think it has a way to gauge exactly how much rain we get and subtract it from the defeceit?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Well trouble begins, saddle tee to one head already broke resulting in a weak 6ft arc... Then I noticed the lateral line feeding it is only 1 7/8" deep.... This caused me to run around the yard with a screw driver, found a lot of 2" deep poly along the trench lines, what do I do now? They're going to fix the broken connection and my temper is difficult to control, I verified lines would be no less than 10" deep since I aerate yearly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a practical tip - aeration is nice, but if your soil really needed regular physical treatment, it should have been tilled like a farm field before you put in a system and a lawn

water and feed your lawn, and don't worry overmuch about aerating
Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

And dont worry about the 2" pipe depth that should be 10"?????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

man, that's tough...i hate to say it because i'm a contractor and i absolutely hate when customers call and start questioning stuff but in this case it sounds like he is completely in the wrong...that is simply too shallow...get your stuff straight before you even call him, i would dig down to the top of the poly in about a 5 foot length or so to show him how shallow it is and that you can't even aerate...i say do this before you call him because you need to make for damn sure you are correct before you tell him he is wrong...then call and tell him you want him to look at the depth when they come back to fix the saddle...then figure it out between the two of you on where to go from there...10" or so is standard
Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

He's got to fix the broken connection anyway I don't much want all my stuff ripped up again either grrrrr its just starting to heal, why does everyone suck at everything!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pipe depth is an odd thing. You want it deep. Until it's repair time, and you are paying time and material. By itself, pipe depth is no biggie. Shallow pipe will not work its way shallower if there are grass roots above it.