Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Reel Mowing Questions....

I am interested in reel mowing my lawn with reel mower. But its not that simple for me. I want to cut it short! not so much like a putting green, but more like a fairway. The grass that is in my yard is just your standard run-of-th-mill Bermuda grass. I found a person who cuts there grass the exact way im wanting to (and his looks good), and he said to just keep cutting it shorter and shorter every so often and you can "train" the grass be that short. However, i have read that you must at least over seed with a hybrid Bermuda or Tiff. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I know enough to be dangerous but what you are wanting is a hybrid Bermuda like one of the Tiff varieties you mentioned. The type of Bermuda that typically just appears on its own is referred to as "common Bermuda". For a lush green Bermuda grass that you would cut really low with a Reel Mower then you are best to sod with a hybrid Bermuda like Tiff 419.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a golf green growing up and used a Manor 21 every 3 days on the green and once a week on the rest of the yard for 8 years. You have no idea what you are getting into and it is a waste with common bermuda.

If you are serious first kill the existing bermuda and sod with tifway. Make sure everything is as flat as a pool table. Nothing to it!

Now if you want to look better than your buddy then plant 419 (sod only) and keep it at 1inch or a little more, mow it every 4 to 5 days with a good rotary with sharp blades.

Here is mine (419) the little purple specs are pieces of crepe myrtle blooms---mine is so dense when I blow off the concrete after I finish I have to blow off the yard as well:
Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0W-J0E View Post
I am interested in reel mowing my lawn with reel mower. But its not that simple for me. I want to cut it short! not so much like a putting green, but more like a fairway. The grass that is in my yard is just your standard run-of-th-mill Bermuda grass. I found a person who cuts there grass the exact way im wanting to (and his looks good), and he said to just keep cutting it shorter and shorter every so often and you can "train" the grass be that short. However, i have read that you must at least over seed with a hybrid Bermuda or Tiff. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
Search for threads by me that contain the word "Bermuda". I have many posts in this subject...and I would not level my lawn and then use a rotary mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My reel mowed Bermuda. I did not topdress this lawn, but I did power rake in several directions until it was smooth. Depending on how bad your lawn is you may need sand.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
My reel mowed Bermuda. I did not topdress this lawn, but I did power rake in several directions until it was smooth. Depending on how bad your lawn is you may need sand.

jealous

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38008 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't be jealous, do it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Don't be jealous, do it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Id love to reel mow, my yard is kinda bumpy but not bad. I've got bout 13000 square ft of 5 acres that i maintain. Probably 50/50 common and hybrid bermuda, non irrigated. The ole rotary at 1.5" just ain't doin it.lol. just a novice homeowner here
Posted via Mobile Device