Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Future tree consideration

I have someone that asked me about conifers and explained the problems they are having. I attached a map. It's a property with a driveway that splits. On the north side entering from the road, there is a row of apple trees.

The red dots are a mix of larger blue spruce and other pines. The blue dots are what I believe are cedars, probably 12-15 ft high.

His property ends at the south of the picture, if you can see the creek with the little bridge. Just above that you can see vegetation. That are is a hill with mixed shrubs, and other growth. He wants to maintain that as a natural visual barrier to the neighbors.

The thing he hates is sap / aphid honeydew on his vehicles. Is he crazy to chop down these conifers and replant with some other decorative tree. Will there be problems planting from roots that aren't dug up and sap causing acidity? Would this most likely fix the problem or are decidous trees home to aphids as well? I don't deal with plants/ trees so excuse my inexperience.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know of any aphids sucking on coniferous trees around here.

Deciduous are the only ones that are going to spring up suckers from any roots left after removal.

Perhaps your client could park some-where else?