Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turflon Ester in hot weather-precautions?

I am about to use Turflon Ester with Fusilade on a zoysia lawn to control bermuda. I've never used this before or any esters. I understand they can volatilize in warm conditions and the drift can harm non-target plants. Temps here are low's in the mid 70's to highs in the upper 90's. What precautions should I take to avoid this? I know this is something that should have started earlier in the year but I just started taking care of this yard. Should I just wait till next year?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

AR,
Better be careful!!!
Way too humid out here in Arkansas to be using those esters.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
AR,
Better be careful!!!
Way too humid out here in Arkansas to be using those esters.
That's what I was worried about. Wanted opinions from those experienced with esters or this product.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
That's what I was worried about. Wanted opinions from those experienced with esters or this product.
I've been telling people that it is a no win situation. I'm assuming you are trying to kill/suppress Bermuda in zoysia. I don't even like doing it in late summer/fall or spring. I just don't see great results and the risks outweigh the benefits for me.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdoctor1 View Post
I've been telling people that it is a no win situation. I'm assuming you are trying to kill/suppress Bermuda in zoysia. I don't even like doing it in late summer/fall or spring. I just don't see great results and the risks outweigh the benefits for me.
Yes, trying to knock out Bermuda in zoysia. According to the MP370 guide from the U of A. I should have started around 1st of June and applied in 4 week intervals.

So you've tried the Fusilade/Turflon combo on zoysia? Tell us your experiences please.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Yes, trying to knock out Bermuda in zoysia. According to the MP370 guide from the U of A. I should have started around 1st of June and applied in 4 week intervals.

So you've tried the Fusilade/Turflon combo on zoysia? Tell us your experiences please.
I've only tried one lawn, ever. And, after 3-4 applications, a year later I couldn't tell any difference. And there was definite phytotoxicity. But, I was not using the Turflon. The Turflon will reduce the phyto dramatically.

Plus, it was an older couple and the woman wanted it done and the man didn't. And I was getting blame no matter what the outcome was. haha.

But, main point, after a year of suppression, I couldn't tell that we had done much of anything as soon as we stopped.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is it still(0-5 MPH winds), humid, and highs going up into the low 90s? How is it at night, just as humid as the days? These would not be conditions to be applying anything ester. I get away with applying ester in over 70 degree temperatures because it is blowing 10-15 MPH constantly, even at night. If it stops doing that and the humidity/temperatures are neck and neck with each other, no ester. Triclopyr ester is equal to 2,4-D in terms of what it will do to non target broadleaves.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdoctor1 View Post
I've only tried one lawn, ever. And, after 3-4 applications, a year later I couldn't tell any difference. And there was definite phytotoxicity. But, I was not using the Turflon. The Turflon will reduce the phyto dramatically.

Plus, it was an older couple and the woman wanted it done and the man didn't. And I was getting blame no matter what the outcome was. haha.

But, main point, after a year of suppression, I couldn't tell that we had done much of anything as soon as we stopped.
Turflon in and of itself is really hard on bermuda. Combined with Fusilade or Ornamec and it does way better at bermuda removal than either by itself. Phytotoxicity is also reduced to the point that it is ok to do the monthly applications. Straight Fusilade at spot spray rates is used to burn off escaped grasses in landscape beds. Kind of works on zoysia, but there is a long list of plants that are intolerant. I prefer to use herbicides that will not damage the plant material.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't appear I should be using ester.

GD
Would the Fusilade/Turflon combo be your choice for bermuda removal from zoysia? From past threads it seemed you used this combo.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Although this is not used when risk of vapor damage to other plants is high. Until I found out about combining the two, I had bad luck with Fusilade. Some years just are not conducive to weed control programs. Thanks to the high winds which have been blowing since last year, I am a bit behind myself. No spraying if it is over 15 MPH.