Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Questions about fliers?

Have you ever had someone call you one or even two years after you put a flier on their door? Also, what has been the most effective form of advertising for you so far?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrassBoy View Post
Have you ever had someone call you one or even two years after you put a flier on their door? Also, what has been the most effective form of advertising for you so far?
SURE HAVE! i picked up a weekly account this year from a postcard i mailed out in 2009. it was one of my first direct mailings, i printed them myself, i couldnt believe the guy still had it.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. I am mowing a lawn this season for someone I gave a snow removal flyer to two winters ago.

That was the only time I did the flyer thing. I have a website, a Google Places listing, and I run an ad on Craigslist from time to time.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had people call me 5 years after I put a flier out. It is amazing. I have been in business for 17 years and when someone new calls I always ask how they found me as I don't do massive advertising. As a matter of fact I did not advertise at all this year. That being said I get most of my new work on word of mouth and I close 90% of those calls. I have found that recommendations will bring great prospects but getting there does not happen overnight. I did the flier thing and it helped find all types of customers. I found some good ones but also many real turds. Once you establish that you do good work you can get a good price and almost pick your customers. Now this is my situation, some guys want many customers and deal with the good and bad. Not for me. I want people who appreciate consistent high quality service and don't haggle over pennies. Good Luck, it takes time but you can do it.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO -

Personal Direct mail > Post Cards > fliers.

They are all effective but the expense is higher in the same order.

I have talked to some people and they do catalog some fliers like coupons... weird I know as my that come to my house are lucky to be looked at before I toss them. Even if I do look at it, I am doing it to see what they are doing.

Branding is a large part of advertisement regardless of the immediate results or so I have been told.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Sponsor

If you are looking at different ways to advertise, check out A'Deas Printing... We have different specials going on right now, we have specials on door hangers as well as direct mail pieces. A neat thing about A'Deas is that we have our band-it and stick-it products that enhance each piece.. for direct mail you can add the stick-it feature and your potential customers can stick the piece on the fridge or file cabinet and keep it as a reminder.. We can also add that to business cards and they can keep it in site as well.. If you would be interested in any pricing or if you have any questions feel free to call or email me at any time. My name is Glenda. My number is 1-866-778-4254 and my email is glenda@adeasprinting.com
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Word of mouth is always nice and cheap!

I did 15,000 direct mail post cards and I think my timing was off. Only 3 calls nearly 30 days later.

Timing is important with any kind of advertisment.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

@bluegrass boy Seems like this question comes up pretty often and there's no single answer that everyone agrees with. Some people have good luck with flyers, some with their website, and some even with classified ads.

There's lots you can do for free on the internet like craigslist, google places, Facebook, ServiceVines etc but ultimately I think consistency working the type that you feel most comfortable with is the ticket.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just did 2300 fliers to one section of a town through the post office not the best timing but a few calls are coming in and they have paid for themselves. For now my best form of adverstising has been local papers, which i run 5 different ads. However i think the mailers that will be going out through yellowbook will yield the best results mostly due to timing. They are sending out waves of 10,000 first wave hits 1st week in september, 2nd wave 1 week in october , 3rd wave of 10,000 hits 1st week of november....if that combined with all my other ads i have going doesn't give me record sales for the 4th quarter i'm not sure what will.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrassBoy View Post
I have done direct mail campaigns over the last couple of years. Return rates have been very low. (In 2011, I ended up spending about $100 per customer gained. 2012 was a bit worse). Actually, I have had my best success so far with Craigslist ads!

Door-to-door is something that I have not tried much, but I plan to try it. I got some door hangers printed with a place for me to put price estimates on the back. I expect that that will prove both more successful and more time-consuming than direct mail.