Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

how long do you keep plans or designs?

How long do you keep plans/designs from a job? I keep the receipts for a long time, but I'm wondering when its time to let the plans go.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A long time....

Most of my designs are hand done except for the sketchup 3-D models so I pin them up like artwork in my office. More than once they have served as inspiration.

-Chris
Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We keep them all. More than once we redo or add to an area due to remodel, add on etc. with existing plan in hand I can draw etc right from there or contractor calls and ask for rough area where irrigation pipes ran and we can get close. Sure there not on the desk all the time, simple file them away and were go to go.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get them scanned and saved as pdf files. If you are getting some designs from others, you should see if they can send you a pdf of it that you can save for your records. It is now very common place for designers to email plans.

I think Kinko's does it. If you have any connections in an architect or engineer's office, they may also have the equipment. Most large format scanners are black & white, though.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I just thought I would ask, I was beginning to feel a little like a pack rat.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Totally worth keeping them, in my opinion. Everything I do is on AutoCAD so it's just data, but where I used to work we had hundreds of drawings from the pre-CAD days. The local blueprint shop scanned them in for around a buck apiece and we got CDs with each drawing saved as both a PDF and a TIFF file (so it could be brought into AutoCAD more easily). If I were to hire someone who did hand drawing, I would totally scan and archive everything.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always print to pdf and then print to the printer from the pdf. That gives me a file to save, I can email it, and I can print reduced sized copies with the line weights being in proportion with the print size.

Most of you probably have downloaded a print to pdf program. I use PrimoPDF by Nitro ... a free download.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do create PDFs of most of our the designs that ended up being an actual job. But we also keep the paper copy as well. I've got hundreds of them up in my attic. All rolled up tightly with the customer's name written in red sharpy ink on the outside so I can find them easily in a few years, if need be.

I save them because it just saves me hassle if we ever go back to that property and need to replace a few plants or shrubs that died off over the years, etc. It's easier to ID a plant on a design than it is to ID a plant that has been dead for 6 months and has no leaves on it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon