Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

LED Quote

Bid 2nd phase lighting job using all LED 35 fixture job using a mere 10% mark up and normal Install price and home owner says OUCH so re figured using Halogen and he went with that quote so until LED drop in price I don't know that I can sell a 35 plus fixture job using all LED , may have to use some LED and blend in halogen here an there.

Anyone else having the same problem , just curious.

Richie
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't even mention halogen to customers anymore. Let's face it, halogen is a dinosaur compared to LED.
Try to convince the customer to break the project into zones as dictated by their budget using LED products. The Roman empire wasn't built overnight, their lighting project doesn't have to be built overnight either.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Recently I am starting to realize that my LED bids are really only coming up about 12% higher than halogen. It's almost become such a no brainer that I basically refuse to install halogen unless specifically demanded by the customer.

The labor savings, wire savings, trans savings, etc. etc that LED offers really offsets the fixture expense a great deal if you really look closely at the numbers. I will agree that pathlight LEDS are still fairly high, but I am getting awfully good prices on bullets, wall lights and non directional spread lights with really good warranties.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Sometimes your the Bug and sometimes your the Windshield.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The toughest hurdle for me is not the price but what happened today. the customer asked me how long they will last. I can with reasonable certainty tell them how long the trans, wire, connections, and how long halogen bulbs and fixtures last. But I have been testing LED's for close to 7 years now, and the only answer I have is I don't know. I do know the ones out the last 30 months have been very good, before that, not so much.

and then you ask folks to pay more for LED, and then you tell them you still have to come back and clean lenses, aim, trim foliage, etc, and even when you take the time to show the electrical and rebulb savings...they still mostly choose halogen.

the time will come soon, probably within 3 years, when an LED system will cost less than a halogen system to install. you can already do it with less expensive aluminum 10w hong kong ebay fixtures out there, but again, that longevity thing.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been 100% LED for 5 years plus. It doesn't make sense to me to install halogen systems anymore, when you can get a 15 year warranty, 75% less energy and no lamps to change using Kichler. There are other manufacturers as well with good LED products.

A lot of the success in closing jobs with LED is a multifaceted marketing plan that gets you in front the right potential clients. If you are getting too many no's, you might want to look at how and where your leads are generated. It took me a while to get it down and I worked many hours to refine my plan. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

tommy, you may be right, but I have pretty much installed 90% of my lighting jobs on properties here from $2 million to $20 million in the past 3 years, and I am not seeing the demand for LED. There are no higher value properties around here. probably 5% of them ask about it. a higher percentage actually seem to ask me NOT to use LED. even if I can overcome folks objections about thier perception of LED color and the solar thing, when asked I am honest about our LED experience-

and I will confess my marketing and my attitude does not help much, as we had some substantial ( greater than 75% ) failures on all LED fixtures and retrofit bulbs that are older than 3 years. all have failed from 4 years back. we are running about 20% failure rate on 24-36 months, ( but most are much higher on less expensive retrofit mr-16's), and 8% on 12-24 months. less than 2 % on 12 months or less. all these 3, 2, 1 year numbers are far better than they have been in the past.

but my 5 year track record does not give me the freedom to tell folks to invest in LED. I would not reccomend a transformer or fixture to folks that had a 100% failure rate beyond 4 years. I do tell them the ones today are far better than just 3 years ago and most have L70 ratings, ip ratings and etc, but most folks honestly want to be able to put a bulb in a fixture in 5, even 10-15 years rather than replace the fixture.

I had a gentleman say this to me the other day- you know, if we were just talking about 1, 3, heck even 10 fixtures inside my house, and I knew they were needing to be outright replaced in 8, 12 years, I would never agree to that. why would I even remotely agree to replace 38 fixtures in 12-15 years. "ridiculous". I can't really argue the point.

The "field replaceable" modules do give me some hope. but again, they are very new...
Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On large system you can actually factor in the cost saving of running LED vs Halogen bulbs. I did the calculation on a few system when I first started installing them and yes the LED system costs more but in the Hydro bill alone it pays for itself.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Funny how things work out , got this email early this morning.

Just discussed with my wife......if you throw in the a free outlet to run the dehumidifier in my Crawlspace the job is yours! Let's stick with the original quote....(All LED's). I will leave a check for $ xx deposit under the mat for you tomorrow. If possible, come by in the afternoon so we can enjoy a cold beverage together and celebrate! Congratulations......we really appreciate the work you do, and most importantly, we are enjoying your friendship! Thanks. Todd.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Now that's the kind of client relationship that not only cools the throat but warms the heart.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."