Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
I would think not. That's too deep. 10" is fine with me and no pipes in the same trench.
everybody here says the main is fine but i should raise the lats to 6-8".

after all the plumbing i have done in pools and such, i'd rather have them deeper.

swing pipe is cheap.

Last edited by 1idejim; 07-19-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: i don't stack pipe, i own an excavator
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I get my pipe in at least 8" deep. But my girlfriend would probably say its less than that.

We pull pretty much everything unless it is extremely rocky and new construction before the sod is laid or Hydrosprayed. The normal practice we do on existing lawns is to lift up the sod in a square where all heads and connections will be. We then dig the holes with a one man auger, on harder ground we use the auger on the dingo. We then simply pull all of the pipe from hole to hole with no problems. The only digging we have to do is for the valve boxes, if the ground is hard we break it up with the dingo auger. Once all connections are made we simply back fill the holes dug for the heads, connections, and boxes. Drive the dingo over the slight mound formed from pulling and place the lifted pieces of sod back down around the heads. Once we are done there is very little evidence we were there, usually the most evidence visible is some dirt that might be near the top of the grass where we had to dig for the heads. We do so little digging that a 3 man crew could probably go to an install with only one trench shovel and one spade and not be slowed down at all.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody marks out a system before they aerate, in my experience. It's always feigned astonishment that heads were broken or pipes got pierced.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
From my research a track mini skid is supposed to be better at pulling pipe than a 410.
The only reason I could see if you used it for more than pulling pipe.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
From my research a track mini skid is supposed to be better at pulling pipe than a 410.
Quote:
The only reason I could see if you used it for more than pulling pipe.
I used a buddy's 410 a few times before I had my dingo. If I could double my install biz I would get one for my self. In the meantime the versatility of the Dingo being able to be moved around from irrigation to masonry work to prepping small lawns to doing landscape installs in tight areas is to important.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I would think not. That's too deep. 10" is fine with me and no pipes in the same trench.
i agree, 10" is about right...i shoot for 12 and usually end up with 10...besides, don't you want to be at the depth of your valve boxes?...and do you mean 10" is fine for one pipe only? or do you mean you never put two pipes in the same trench period?

aeration is definitely something to keep in mind...the deepest is usually 4", but i don't know why anyone would put a system in that shallow...we are 8" in some places on our current install but that's as shallow as it gets...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
depth and cover are 2 different things, 18" cover for mains and 12" cover for lats. swing pipe makes up the difference.

no problems aerating
....... Or tilling
Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I work on a lot of soil that needs no aerating, so it is an eternal surprise when some gullible homeowner has aeration done, improving the soil not at all.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I work on a lot of soil that needs no aerating, so it is an eternal surprise when some gullible homeowner has aeration done, improving the soil not at all.
And you have determined this how?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

one word - moraine