Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Scag Pro V- New Controls Speculation

When Scag sells off their stock pile of V-bar steering controls they will come out with different controls but keep the Pro V. They have way too much money tied up in the design to just start from scratch. The mower design is good and it is the only floating deck mower you can buy with rapid height adjustment. Scag wants to purge their V bar controls inventory before they come out with new controls so they don't take a huge loss.

If they release a better design that they already probably out in R&D mode nobody will want the older control style. Scag has never blown anyone away with their old school WB controls and the V controls were an attempt to be at the fore front that just went too far.

I have two Scag SWZU models which the Pro V replaced. I'm going to be very interested to see what the new controls will look like and when they will be released. Scag never seems to be very forth coming on new product news. I owned a V Ride before Scag even showed them on their website.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My guess is the new system will be similar to the V ride.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It will be like vride controls. They need to sell most of the pro v's first unfortanately. Been told to wait till fall maybe spring to get one. I'm guessing they have it built tested and ready to build but waiting on inventory to go down. How the vride became a hot seller most likely slowed the prov sales way down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

OK... What's wrong with the V-bar controls??? I thought that was a cool feature
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Though I can't elaborate, there will be some other changes to the new Pro-Vs. Controls are similar to V-Ride but certainly not identical. You will be able to operate the machine with one hand
Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
OK... What's wrong with the V-bar controls??? I thought that was a cool feature
The controls had a few minor issues with operator presence detection that required the controls to be reset that was minor. I think the bigger problem was the controls were too advanced and didn't allow you to control each tire independently like most owners are accustomed to.

Trying to lift the mower over curbs or even loading it into a trailer you weren't able to easily lift the deck some so you don't hang it up. The controls were a bold move by Scag to try to go from having the most outdated controls to the most advanced. The mower just didn't sell like they thought it would which is why there is a large price reduction to clear out some inventory.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Scag dealer thinks they'll use the V-Ride controls. Sometimes just going with something simple is the best idea. I really do like the V-Ride controls and they will be a way better system than the Pro v or pistol grips. Hopefully we can see this mower at the GIE-EXPO.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR Landscaping View Post
My Scag dealer thinks they'll use the V-Ride controls. Sometimes just going with something simple is the best idea. I really do like the V-Ride controls and they will be a way better system than the Pro v or pistol grips. Hopefully we can see this mower at the GIE-EXPO.
The V-Ride controls would work fine using a Velky or Sulky but I'm not sure they would be suitable for walking. You really needs a control you can put your hands around.