Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2003, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 vs. 4 wheel drive

How important is it to have 4X4 on a small (sub compact) tractor? I am looking at two tractors (will leave names out to avoid pissing match) and one is only 2 wheel drive. Of course its cheaper, which is very appealing, but how important will it be to have 4X4 do you think? I will use it MOSTLY for repairs and such to existing lawns, so it won't be important there, but will occasionally use it in muddy areas. How easy is it to pull a 2 wheel drive sub compact out of the mud? Thanks guys, appreciate the help!
Old 01-08-2003, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Rosciolli,

I have a small compact tractor and am sooooo happy that I got the 4 wheel drive. It cost a little more but you will love it just like we do.
"You'll get MOW for your money & MULCH, MULCH more!"
Old 01-08-2003, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

2vs4

I have a short mpg file of a 2 wd compact in the mud if you are interested. I wouldn't have believed it if I had'nt seen it for myself.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That mpeg would be awesome.. i just sent you a pm saying the same, buy my email is absolutroscioli@hotmail.com, hopefully that would be the way to get it to me? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2003, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How easy is it to pull a 2wd subcompact tractor out of the mud? Probably pretty easy. But if you have 4wd, then you can pull your truck out of the mud when it gets stuck, instead of the other way around. If you want to add a front end loader, 4wd on a little tractor is darn near a necessity. I have heard that a 4wd tractor puts 20% more horsepower to the drawbar than 2wd. With a subcompact, I suspect that's a conservative estimate.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kays- Thanks for the video, thats a lot of mud!
Hose- I hate to admit it, but I dont know what the drawbar is! I am new to the world of tractors... Probably something very obvious but i just cant figure it out. The tractors I am looking at are 20-25 horse, not sure if that would be enough to pull my truck out of anything serious?
Old 01-11-2003, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The drawbar is the thing they used to bolt plows and things like that to on the back of a tractor. More horsepower to the drawbar just means it will pull harder. My little Yanmar is only 17 hp but will easily pull a 3,500 pound trailer up my driveway. If I had a truck to pull out, I would choose my tractor over my Ford Explorer any day, even though the Explorer weighs twice as much. If you're serious about a tractor purchase, check out tractorbynet.com. There are several forums that cover pretty much all aspects of shopping for, operating and maintaining a compact tractor. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What would you guys think this tractor is worth? I have no clue as to tractor values. Its got 108 hours on it, its hydro, 2 wheel drive, loader and turf tires as shown (i need the turf tires for what i will be doing). Model is Cub Cadet 7193 "About 20 hp diesel". Can anyone confirm what engine this unit was available with? Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2003, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't help with the value of your cub, but if you haven't bought it yet you realllllllly need 4wd. With the front end loader, as soon as you have a bucket of material you "unload" the rear tires (even loaded with calcium) and loose lots of traction (especially on turf). Even locking the diff. doesn't help too much and if you try turning with the rear end locked you'll find the tractor wants to push. I've got a Kubota L2900 with loader and a Bradco 8' backhoe as well as a Kubota B2400 both with 4wd.on turf tires. Turf tires and 2wd. don't mix unless you're on gravel or pavement and if you are (on pavement) you don't need turf. Trust me you'll be a lot happier with 4wd. Good Luck.
and Property Maintenance both
residential and commercial"
Old 01-15-2003, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

roscioli.....

Mitsubishi engine.

here's what http://www.machinerylink.com/ shows......

Estimated Average Value Less Loader

Premium $9,658

Good $9,111

Fair $8,431

Approx. Retail Price New:
$13,599

Last edited by captdevo; 01-15-2003 at 01:20 AM.