Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does your state have the Castle Law? A camera just records a person you don't know stealing your stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Short of actually catching and getting to shoot some scumbag for stealing (and yes, I'm well aware that in most places it isn't legal to shoot someone for property theft, which is BS in itself)-

Seems like one of those cameras you can buy to help you back up to a trailer might be close to what you are looking for here. Most guys don't look that closely at the tow vehicle when they are trying to steal stuff.

I wonder just how many thieves read these forums to get ideas on how to steal our stuff quicker from us by learning what products are good and which are easier too defeat?

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 07-23-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Short of actually catching and getting to shoot some scumbag for stealing (and yes, I'm well aware that in most places it isn't legal to shoot someone for property theft, which is BS in itself)-

Seems like one of those cameras you can buy to help you back up to a trailer might be close to what you are looking for here. Most guys don't look that closely at the tow vehicle when they are trying to steal stuff.

I wonder just how many thieves read these forums to get ideas on how to steal our stuff quicker from us by learning what products are good and which are easier too defeat?
I went 11 years thinking I had a good device to stop a guy from a quick snatch and sadly my little device was pu. And worse yet I am a mechanical engr. I am reminded of the time that I was camping and a voltage got on the shell of my camping trailer. Kicked my butt for a while until I figured out that I needed to get the dam thing grounded properly. Maybe I could utilize my stupid battery device that is supposed to apply brakes to my trailer if it becomes unhooked from the truck.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I am really looking for some ideas on how to stop these guys. We lost 2 more trimmers a month ago in the same area. The guys put the trimmers in the back of the truck and went to blow off. 99% of time one of the 4 guys would have been with 100ft of the truck but not this time. Started the year with 10 backup trimmers now I got 6 plus this bait timmer that I might have to get running.

Any body mount any camera on truck to watch trailer?
Solution:

Set a unlocked trimmer with a small, and undetectible tracking device inside. Wait for someone to steal it, and then show up at there house and beat ass.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Hide under a tarp and wait for them with a Remington 870 and call the cops.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnmn View Post
Hide under a tarp and wait for them with a Remington 870 and call the cops.
Better yet, the coroner.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

wrap some copper wire around the upper grip to make it look like it's holding the thing on, run a hidden insulated wire with bare ends with one end connected to the coil and the other connected to your copper wire you just wrapped. Your bait trimmer will probably still get stolen, but at least you can have a private chuckle to yourself later..
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroked View Post
Solution:

Set a unlocked trimmer with a small, and undetectable tracking device inside. Wait for someone to steal it, and then show up at there house and beat ass.
Man oh man. This would be the cats meow if you can find the right stuff to do it. You might even get all your trimmers back AFTER the thief's are laying on the ground in pain.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
wrap some copper wire around the upper grip to make it look like it's holding the thing on, run a hidden insulated wire with bare ends with one end connected to the coil and the other connected to your copper wire you just wrapped. Your bait trimmer will probably still get stolen, but at least you can have a private chuckle to yourself later..

kinda like the old trick we used when we were kids--
at night, we would thow an old purse out in the street tied to fishing line and a fishing pole--then hide in the bushes or ditch--every other person that drove by would stop and get out to get the purse--

pretty funny when you suddenly pulled the purse away from them...i wish i could have recorded their faces--loads of fun!!

we also did it at bars with a fake $100 bill...tossed it out in the aisle and sat back and watched people kick the bill to an obscure place to discreetly pick it up--the look on their faces when they realized they had been had was priceless-

I think we all need to get togeether to make some youtube videos--it would make funniest home vids look silly!
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I live and work in New Orleans. You guys have no idea what I went thru loosing tools after Katrina. How I fixed it was buying a utility body truck with a long box and a tall box on the curb side. Have not lost a tool in over three seasons. The long box right now has two trimmers, edger, and articulating hedge trimmer. Yes the crack heads did try but the box won.

So what I am suggesting is see what a steel box would cost cuz that will fix your problem and keep your stuff out of the rain.
Posted via Mobile Device