Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Short of actually catching and getting to shoot some scumbag for stealing (and yes, I'm well aware that in most places it isn't legal to shoot someone for property theft, which is BS in itself)-

Seems like one of those cameras you can buy to help you back up to a trailer might be close to what you are looking for here. Most guys don't look that closely at the tow vehicle when they are trying to steal stuff.

I wonder just how many thieves read these forums to get ideas on how to steal our stuff quicker from us by learning what products are good and which are easier too defeat?
You are right!

Lets max out the hits my explains post count.[/SIZE]
Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I am interested in that if you don't want to show it on LS just send me a private note. Since these guys have hit us twice I am going to sit up some type of sting operation.
Charge and mount one these ( http://highenergycorp.thomasnet-navi...mic-capacitors ). It's the wire leads coming out of the capacitor that will give a shock. The capacitor can be mounted to the rack with duck tape, but make sure the wire leads are about 1/8" apart from each other and in an area that a thief is likely to touch them. Voila!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some company was making a setup that used a diamond plate locker that enclosed the power heads. I can't find them right now. It was a slick set up , but pretty pricey if I remember correctly.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Along with shocking the whizz out of them, fixing a trail cam like those used for hunting inside of the cab of the truck and facing the trailer would be very beneficial to law enforement when they show up, and they might even get a good laugh at the guys face as he's getting the shock.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I am interested in that if you don't want to show it on LS just send me a private note. Since these guys have hit us twice I am going to sit up some type of sting operation.
I want to come and watch that!!!
IDK why you are having problems with those racks. I can leave my rig in the walmart parking lot and come back and everything is there. Its a matter of keeping stuff under padlock. I am using a rack very very similar to yours. Maybe its different in the area I work (80K people) vs. in the city. Only thing i've had stolen was a gas can with a couple of gallons of gas in it...they walked right past 1k worth of handhelds
Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Find a better neighborhood to live in. Jeez!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=trooper8870;4482414]Did just that. Works great and I found out who got it. They were about 3 blocks up broke down with the hood up. 3 gallons of a premium gas/sugar mixture did the trick. I was by myself and they were waiting for me to go into back yard. Soon as I did they snatched it an ran. It was the next door neighbor to the property I was working for.[/QUOTEu]

Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline, it's a myth. I tried it once, I put some gas in a jar and a lot of sugar and watched it for weeks, nothing happened.
Here is what Snopes says http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=siclmn;4483218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper8870 View Post
Did just that. Works great and I found out who got it. They were about 3 blocks up broke down with the hood up. 3 gallons of a premium gas/sugar mixture did the trick. I was by myself and they were waiting for me to go into back yard. Soon as I did they snatched it an ran. It was the next door neighbor to the property I was working for.[/QUOTEu]

Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline, it's a myth. I tried it once, I put some gas in a jar and a lot of sugar and watched it for weeks, nothing happened.
Here is what Snopes says http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
Never tied it but I was once told that syrup in the crankcase oil will do the trick. Something about it turning into an emulsion and crystallizing where it gets hot in the bearings.

Mothballs in gasoline is another trick that is suppose to make the engine run like a raped ape for a will then it will size up. Checked snopes nothing about mothballs in gasoline.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want to disable an engine just add a lot of water into the gas tank. The engine will not run on water.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bleach does wonders too lol