Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07-28-2012, 09:42 AM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Anything besides gas in a gas engine will work...bleach is about 98% water...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,499
Well they came back and jumped the fence in my back yard but didn't get anything since I had it all cabled. When they went back over the fence they stepped on an angle arm and ripped it off the fence. So now I know they got it from my backyard and not on the street. I had one good trimmer and the bait one so i took the good one off. Now they know they need bolt cutter. I have a remote sensor that turns on my flood lights so I got that back into the area. I am going to put a couple camera back there. I used to tarp the thing everynite hate to have to do that again.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 AM
newz7151 newz7151 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Well they came back and jumped the fence in my back yard but didn't get anything since I had it all cabled. When they went back over the fence they stepped on an angle arm and ripped it off the fence. So now I know they got it from my backyard and not on the street. I had one good trimmer and the bait one so i took the good one off. Now they know they need bolt cutter. I have a remote sensor that turns on my flood lights so I got that back into the area. I am going to put a couple camera back there. I used to tarp the thing everynite hate to have to do that again.
Well Ed, if you know where they are coming over the fence now, it seems like a perfect place to set up some of those proximity mines you have been waiting to test out somewhere. Just remember to put them on YOUR SIDE of the fence!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM
loyd meeks loyd meeks is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 43
Get a couple of driveway alerts. When they break the beam you get a buzz in the house
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Chilehead's Avatar
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyd meeks View Post
Get a couple of driveway alerts. When they break the beam you get a buzz in the house
This is good advice, especially when you consider that Texas is a "castle doctrine" state.
__________________


Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,440
If they're coming at night, and it is dark back there, try laying a few pieces of plywood around the trailer with a lot of either 8D or 16D ring shank nails (rusty ones are best) driven through and facing upwards where they'll have to step on them to either cut the cable or grab the equipment, or where they are coming over the fence at. The plywood only needs to be about 2' wide strips to do the trick. Paint it a flat, dark color so that is doesn't stand out in the dark from any light that may be around. You can even cover it with a thin layer of grass clippings to camo it a little.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,384
Leaded gas ruins catalytics, around here it is sold up the road as "offroad" fuel at a service station that caters to folks headed to the race track (literally, with stock cars), now the stuff is expensive and unfortunately yard equipment can handle lead, but cars can not.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
If they're coming at night, and it is dark back there, try laying a few pieces of plywood around the trailer with a lot of either 8D or 16D ring shank nails (rusty ones are best) driven through and facing upwards where they'll have to step on them to either cut the cable or grab the equipment, or where they are coming over the fence at. The plywood only needs to be about 2' wide strips to do the trick. Paint it a flat, dark color so that is doesn't stand out in the dark from any light that may be around. You can even cover it with a thin layer of grass clippings to camo it a little.



The criminal's attorney would love if you followed this advice, as it would surely put more money in his pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Leaded gas ruins catalytics, around here it is sold up the road as "offroad" fuel at a service station that caters to folks headed to the race track (literally, with stock cars), now the stuff is expensive and unfortunately yard equipment can handle lead, but cars can not.
It would cost too much to do this. And the time it would take to fully clog converter would be a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,460
If you know they are coming at night onto your property, a couple of simple beware of dog signs and a angry pit bull or two, nothing easier and more simple if you ask me. Let them roam your yard and I am pretty sure that there will be no more issues with equipment turning up missing from your back lawn.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.08406 seconds with 8 queries