Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
So you think I should go with a 6x14?
What I was nervous about pulling was a tandem axle 14 footer
Posted via Mobile Device
Why?

Nothing to worry about until you get up around 24'.

Or, if you drive up I'll let you try my 35' gooseneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I never can get an electric brake setup to be near as reliable as a hydraulic set up that comes standard on cars light trucks. Get a electric brake axle,they do work if you can keep them working.
Then you're doing something wrong. I don't have a trailer axle without brakes. By law all my axles must have them. They really aren't that much work.

BTW, go 16', you won't regret it.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Could have started out saying that, you can't pull full time with a 1/2 ton, you need to start thinking about upgrading the truck if you plan on getting a bigger trailer.
I pull a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer full time with a half ton. does just fine.

in the winter it has an 8' straight blade snow plow.

the only guys I see with 3/4 ton are the ones who run v blades in the winter.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I pull a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer full time with a half ton. does just fine.

in the winter it has an 8' straight blade snow plow.

the only guys I see with 3/4 ton are the ones who run v blades in the winter.
What year is your truck

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
What year is your truck
07 dodge ram half ton.

I pull that 7' x 14' enclosed trailer loaded with a 52" grandstand, 36" walkbehind, 21 incher, backpack blower, trimmer, stick edger, three 2 gallon gas cans plus a truck box mounted inside the front from 7am until 5pm, 5 days a week at least.

never had a bit of trouble and no one has ever said I needed a larger truck or smaller trailer.

in the winter it handles the 8' snow plow just fine.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
07 dodge ram half ton.

I pull that 7' x 14' enclosed trailer loaded with a 52" grandstand, 36" walkbehind, 21 incher, backpack blower, trimmer, stick edger, three 2 gallon gas cans plus a truck box mounted inside the front from 7am until 5pm, 5 days a week at least.

never had a bit of trouble and no one has ever said I needed a larger truck or smaller trailer.

in the winter it handles the 8' snow plow just fine.
Ohhhh ok yeah I have a 2002 ram and mine will pull it but its really a PITA....but my dodge been having some problems on account That's it's 10 years old vs your 5 years old

Enough Said...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm interested in adding brakes to my trailer. How do I do that. U make it sound really easy
Posted via Mobile Device
If the current axle/s have the flange to mount the brake assembly/hub to (most do), then it would just be a matter of adding the brake/drum assemblies, wiring, and the controller for electric brakes. If not, then it might be easier/cheaper to just swap the axle with one that already has brakes. It really depends on how much of it you can do yourself. I have a place near me that builds trailers, so all of the parts are readily available. Here is some info:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-Adding-E...um-Brakes.aspx

If you end up doing that, I'd suggest a pendulum type controller that adjusts braking force in equilibrium with the trucks brake. They work a lot better than the time delayed, e.g. cheap, ones.

Also 1 axle is all you probably need brakes on. And if you've never had brakes on a trailer, you're in for treat as they make a world of difference. I've had good luck with the Dexter assemblies.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahammer View Post
If the current axle/s have the flange to mount the brake assembly/hub to (most do), then it would just be a matter of adding the brake/drum assemblies, wiring, and the controller for electric brakes. If not, then it might be easier/cheaper to just swap the axle with one that already has brakes. It really depends on how much of it you can do yourself. I have a place near me that builds trailers, so all of the parts are readily available. Here is some info:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-Adding-E...um-Brakes.aspx

If you end up doing that, I'd suggest a pendulum type controller that adjusts braking force in equilibrium with the trucks brake. They work a lot better than the time delayed, e.g. cheap, ones.

Also 1 axle is all you probably need brakes on. And if you've never had brakes on a trailer, you're in for treat as they make a world of difference. I've had good luck with the Dexter assemblies.
I got a quote from a from a local trailer place...$775 for everything including labor... Um and im not mechanically incline so

Enough Said...
Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

12x6 single axle loaded with 36WB up front 21 next to it a Toro 52ZTR behind

I used my 2500 ram diesel and with no brakes on the trailer I would not want to get caught trying to stop quick.

Upgraded this year to a 7x16 enclosed with lots of room to spare with all my equipment loaded

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Not true about the axle though. I think most trailer axles are rated for 3500LBS.

ZTR is about 1300.
WB is less than 800.

That's 2100.

Do u think that's pushing it?

Also, the bad part is I have a 6 cylinder f150. 5speed manual. 2002 model.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes that is pushing it because you left out the weight of the trailer. My 12 foot tandem axle weights close to 2000 pounds my 16 foot tandem weighs 2000 pounds my 20 foot tandem weights 3000 pounds. But lets say you have some cheap light weight trailer its still going to be in the 1000 pound range add in your other weights plus gas cans blowers trimmers and racks and your quickly near the max rated weight for a single 3500 pound axle. Plus lots of the single axle trailers use 2000 pound axles instead.

Now I towed a 12 foot and 16 foot trailer for years with a 98 and 99 ram 1500. The 98 still has the original transmission but its on its 3rd rear end and was getting a complete brake job every single year. The engine had no issues towing its everything else that was stressed and that worked out to huge repair bills. By huge I'm talking thousands a year per truck. As for 6 cylinders 3 of my trucks have 6 cylinder engines. Of course were talking 6.7 litter Cummings diesels and were talking 2 4500s and 1 old 3500.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I got a quote from a from a local trailer place...$775 for everything including labor... Um and im not mechanically incline so
Well that could be a reasonable deal but it really just depends on what system they are selling you. I'd get specs on what all they be using and research it a bit. A very good controller, the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 can be had for $132.57 on Amazon but it retails for around $200 or so. But they could also use a $50 time delayed model that you'll hate. Then you have the drum assemblies, RV style connectors, wiring, labor and maybe a breakaway kit if you want that. So it could be a good deal or a rip off, depending on what they're providing with the deal.