Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is an outfit up on Clinton highway that has 7-10 trucks so someon is making some cash doing it. I have thought about it myself but the truck cost was the issue.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
There is an outfit up on Clinton highway that has 7-10 trucks so someon is making some cash doing it. I have thought about it myself but the truck cost was the issue.
I know there so high then all the used ones are wore out.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one that I could get my hands on isnt too worn out to be a starter truck. Plus I could get it on a contingency type basis as it is just sitting there taking up space. I just wonder if I could make any money at it as it is just my fiance and I. Alot of long days ahead if I choice to go for it.
14X6 double axle trailer
743 Bobcat
1-61" Scag Turf Tiger
2-52" Scag ultimate Hydro
1-36" Scag fixed Hydro
1-21" John Deere 14sx commercial push mower
3- Redmax BCZ2401S
2- Husqvarna BT350
Stihl and Shindawia chainsaws and hedge trimmers

God Bless The U.S.A
A country where a man make a living doing what he loves.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMastersTN View Post
The one that I could get my hands on isnt too worn out to be a starter truck. Plus I could get it on a contingency type basis as it is just sitting there taking up space. I just wonder if I could make any money at it as it is just my fiance and I. Alot of long days ahead if I choice to go for it.
Sweeping is like babysitting... the lots always need to be cleaned and if there are only two of you it might be a lot to tackle. I don't know how many lots you are looking at but I figured at least four to five hours of sweeping to justify the costs. Depending on how many days per week it might be worth it but if you have to sweep four or five days a week it won't take long to get burned out.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my uncle runs a sweeper full time for the last 5 years. it makes a ton of money. but it takes 3 people 40-50 hrs a week to operate. they have the sweeper going 5-6 days a week as well as a triaxle commited to the sweeper. and a laborer with a powerbroom. its a major commitment to the business.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That would be a great service to offer existing commercial clients who bid it out to other contractors. Good way to keep your foot in the door as a one company does all approach for ease of their contracts

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont sweep anything big or on a regular basic. I have a sweeper, tentant and one on front of skid which is enclosed. We do alot of sweeping but that is done in the spring after snow melts and we clean the lots we do and some others, reclaim the sand and go from there. I also stripe these lots as well so it works for us. The larger sweepers around me - bid job, 2-3-5- years or longer and all there work is all night long.

I wont want it cuz I have guys out at night. Snow removal is bad enough. Equipment breaks - who they going to call at 2 am?? Most likely your not watching the work so something is missed and client calls and your like hum hum hum.............

Dont need the headache. Trucks are major investment. Used ones I have looked at are exactly that - used n abused!