Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Member

do any of you?

Ok guys so with the move i decied to wait till the start of the new year befor i get started back up.

So last week i went to a interview for a guy to be a crew leaded for him. Well i accepted the job. Got all the paper work to fill out. Well i am reading though the paper work and i come across a page that said

" preventable accident waiver

in the event of any preventable accident including vehicle accidents there will be a $250 payroll deduction to any parties involved. A preventable accident is defined buy the policy and procedures of the company and at the owner decoration....... mambo jumbo"

So i am just wondering if any of you do this. I didnt even know this was legal first off and imo just wrong. I mean heck as much as you try to be 100% safe at all time. Wired things can happen that might never happen again in million years. needless to say i declined the job. and before any of ya say to help agents your workman's comp. your talking to a guy that threw his back out on a job (when i worked for other people) and did turn it in.

Also just wondering how many of you guys have your guys sign a non-compete. And if so why? I just dont understand it. I have help a few of my old guys get there start on there own. They have helped me in giving me bigger job and me them on small jobs, works great. And if one of my customer goes to them then its on me not them. I missed up somewhere to lose that account. But any sorry for the rant cant sleep been a long night.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Payroll deductions for employee damages are not legal in my state, nor is holding checks. I would think this would be the case in most states.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like he is makin employees pay for deductible for insurance claims. Don't sound legal. If it is, I think it should be negligent accident waiver which would be the same as preventable, because preventable may not always be negligence IMO. I could see if employee is screwin around & causes damage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I have my guys sign a code of conduct and included in it is that they will be fired for careless damage to my equipment or customers property. I also include that they may be given the chance to correct the damage if they want to keep Thier job. I've had too many people cause stupid damage and then have the attitude oh well you own the business so you are Rich and should pay for it. We don't make them pay for ligit accidents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm pretty sure that is illegal! A employer can not hold a check or deduct money from your check if you were involved in an accident. Termination would be the action to take if that happened.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!