Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
No sir, doesn't work that way, you're a big boy now so I'm not taking the responsibility for what comes of it, you want to save money then you take your chances, otherwise pay the premium and be done, choice is yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Uh....don't recall asking anyone to "take any responsibility" for anything....but thanks?
Topsites/herler sure taught you a valuable lesson. How dare you try to shift your concerns onto him...he is far too wise.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

look at the container and see what grading it has if it's graded to meet or exceed either ISO-L-EGD or JASO FD then personally i would use it if it has neither of these ratings then i wouldn't use it
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.
Stan
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I use to be a truck driver and I would pick up oil from Exxon Mobile and deliver it to Walmart DC's and it would be all Walmart Brand oil.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys talking about SuperTech? That stuff is fine. I put that oil in my wife's cavalier at 76k miles and it had 213k miles when I sold it. I did change the oil every 3k or so miles though. Like a poster before said about delivering Exxon Mobile, I believe SuperTech is made by Mobile if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use to be a store manger for WMT. I can tell you in most circumstances you have nothing to fear from buying their store brand products as they are most likely made by a national brand name company. For example, do you remember when Peter Pan had the recall....did you notice that all the Great Value peanut butter was off the shelf at that time too? There was a reason for that.

In fact their interior and exterior paint - Made by Sherman Williams, There Great Value TP, made by Charmin, the Sam's Choice laundry detergent that was in the orange bottle, made by the makers of Tide..etc etc etc. They get a value from the manufacturer because they move the volume, they (WMT) generally enjoy a greater profit margin on these items as well. For that reason you see many many store brand products in Wal-Marts .

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I use to be a store manger for WMT. I can tell you in most circumstances you have nothing to fear from buying their store brand products as they are most likely made by a national brand name company. For example, do you remember when Peter Pan had the recall....did you notice that all the Great Value peanut butter was off the shelf at that time too? There was a reason for that.

In fact their interior and exterior paint - Made by Sherman Williams, There Great Value TP, made by Charmin, the Sam's Choice laundry detergent that was in the orange bottle, made by the makers of Tide..etc etc etc. They get a value from the manufacturer because they move the volume, they (WMT) generally enjoy a greater profit margin on these items as well. For that reason you see many many store brand products in Wal-Marts .
My concern is: I have a close friend that works for Sherwin W. He say's yes, WalMart's paint is made by SW.....but to WM's specs....may be a lower quality?

I have the same concern about the synthetic oil.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
My concern is: I have a close friend that works for Sherwin W. He say's yes, WalMart's paint is made by SW.....but to WM's specs....may be a lower quality?

I have the same concern about the synthetic oil.
One way to tell for sure ... try it and send the used to blackstone for test.

As far as the paint - I doubt that there is much difference if any at all. I doubt that SW or any other manufacture would go through the process of creating a product for WMT with different amount of inputs needed, different production lines etc...only to sell it to them at a lower cost.

Go into any automotive store and ask the manager who makes their private label...most will know...I doubt this major companies are manufacturing all this products differently with different process and materials and inputs needed. That is kind of like Green Giant selling peas to WMT private label and saying they are not the same....they came from the same field most likely and the only difference is the label and price.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
One way to tell for sure ... try it and send the used to blackstone for test.

As far as the paint - I doubt that there is much difference if any at all. I doubt that SW or any other manufacture would go through the process of creating a product for WMT with different amount of inputs needed, different production lines etc...only to sell it to them at a lower cost.

Go into any automotive store and ask the manager who makes their private label...most will know...I doubt this major companies are manufacturing all this products differently with different process and materials and inputs needed. That is kind of like Green Giant selling peas to WMT private label and saying they are not the same....they came from the same field most likely and the only difference is the label and price.
I guess my concern is that maybe some of the additives may vary in products....I don't know that mind you, I'm just wondering.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I guess my concern is that maybe some of the additives may vary in products....I don't know that mind you, I'm just wondering.
I am just guessing as I am no longer a mgr there and do not have the information to review anymore...but pennzoil was who they bought there bulk oil from in the Tire Lube Express division for oil changes. I would take a guess that Super Tech is made by them or Quaker - dependent on who has the current competition.

WMT is a lot of things but stupid is not one of them. I am sure whatever products they offer a long these lines are made to a specs that ensures your vehicle or mower are taken care of as they do not want the legal woes.