Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl FS 70 RC-E Trimmer

Well, I finally went out yesterday and bought a new trimmer. My FS 100rx's are ready to be retired. I went to my dealer and was torn between buying the same models I had before or trying to go back to the 2 stroke style. Well, I was assured that my Stihl was backed by a 7 day money back guarantee, so there was no need to worry. So, I took the FS 70 and I'm going to run it for this week.

I was drawn to it mainly for its weight and its true 2 stroke engine. It just seems like every year I have an issue with every 4 mix engine I have where it starts running like crap or just won't run at all. I end up doing valve adjustments, new carbs, or running sea foam through them because of their tendency to build up carbon in the engine causing running issues. I just remember the days where you bought a 2 stroke and for the life of the machine your maintenance schedule was put gas in the gas tank.

I made a video about the trimmer and my initial feelings on it. Let me know what you guys think. I have one week. Do I keep it or do I bring it back and get the 100's again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4E8m...1&feature=plcp
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good review except you didn't start it. I was really wanting to hear it run.

I have the 4 mix "KM" series and they are great except for the exact things you mentioned.

anyway good review.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice review. So after having it for almost a week whats your thoughts?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

looks just like mine except mine the better gas cap where it flips up then you remove it. sad to see they are changing that. I better run out and get a br600 before they change those gas caps.

anyway I love my fs 70 trimmer. haven't had any issues with it. runs great and performs great.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmmm... I started having starting issues with my 2.5 year old FS90R.
Aside from that and the weight, I've been happy with it. Was thinking of getting a new one (FS90) next season, but maybe something like this would work.
It's lighter and if it can go longer without needing to have the dealer service it just to get it to run properly, it may be worth looking at.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Hmmmm... I started having starting issues with my 2.5 year old FS90R.
Aside from that and the weight, I've been happy with it. Was thinking of getting a new one (FS90) next season, but maybe something like this would work.
It's lighter and if it can go longer without needing to have the dealer service it just to get it to run properly, it may be worth looking at.
I've had my for 3 years now and it's never been in the shop for a repair. in fact none of my stihl equipment has ever been in the shop for a repair.

I do roughly 40-50 accounts a week. the dealer recommended the fs 70 for the mostly residential work I do.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
looks just like mine except mine the better gas cap where it flips up then you remove it. sad to see they are changing that. I better run out and get a br600 before they change those gas caps.

anyway I love my fs 70 trimmer. haven't had any issues with it. runs great and performs great.
The flip caps are the older style, At one point they had a recall and gave out new ones. I would rather see the screw caps. I wish all the 4 mix had the screw caps. I've had them since they came out 2002-2003 ish
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac Lawns Inc. View Post
The flip caps are the older style, At one point they had a recall and gave out new ones. I would rather see the screw caps. I wish all the 4 mix had the screw caps. I've had them since they came out 2002-2003 ish
yeah I'm well aware of the recall and the problems some people had with them. thing is I never had a single issue with them and I love them.

in the end though it's just a gas cap. I prefer the flip cap but it's not gonna make or break a sale for me.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I made it through one week with this trimmer. I did probably 65 accounts this week. The trimmer has its drawbacks. Its not as powerful as a 4 mix, the flex shaft drove me nuts, and the trigger mechanism is cheap. But, it is light weight, engine is snappy and responsive.

I got past the wobble from the flex shaft by swapping it with an fs100rx solid aluminum shaft. Now theres no more wobble.

I'm going to keep the trimmer and see how long it lasts. I think its a really good homeowner unit, but it's design falls just short of being commercial.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The flex shaft is why I went redmax when I switched from 4 mix. It never made since to me why 4 mix trimmers are so heavy but 4 mix blowers are the lightest on the market.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
fs 70 , grass , lawn , stih , trimmer