Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Homemade Tire Cage(trimmer trap tc-3)

Just a couple pictures of the tire cage I made, I was gonna buy them from trimmer trap but the price made me reconsider, so anyways I built one for a Toro 22156 and will make another. I'm gonna use it in my truck bed, to hold my mowers so they can be one in front of the other without fumbling with bungees/straps or having them rolling around. I used to just turn one sideways at the rear and then secure it to the anchors in the truck bed, but with two it becomes a pain. Hope this helps someone thinking of buying one or something similar. I am also in no way a fabricator of any kind, don't have a welder, I used a blow torch, vice, hammer, drill, nuts and bolts. I am also gonna use a large plastic wing nut thingy to tighten it and slide it up/down, so it can be easily secured by hand, just didn't have one.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used bungie cords, 2 by 4s and all of that stuff. I finally got sick of messing around, taking time etc and just ordered the Jungle Jims push mower rack. It's simple and extremely fast.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at that one, but I liked this design because its for my truck, not trailer, and I dont typically walk up into my truck, this may I can just reach over the side and slide up the thing, as opposed to lifting the front end of the mower with the handle, which I'm sure is doable, I just finished painting mine and making some adjustments, I'll post more pics soon.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some new pictures of it with a wing nut, more clearance and a new paint jobs, its a whole new piece but same idea, enjoy. It looks like the paint is dripping but its just the glare or something.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What you have there is a great design. I really like it except for one thing. The wingnut has to go. What you need is a quick release skewer type of nut. You need something that is fast but secure. How much would you charge me to make one of those racks up?

Here is a pic of a skewer.

You just turn it to get it close and then you flip the lever to lock it down.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's simple and very effective. I'm calling the patent office on Monday and get a patent on that. Then you can come work for me. j/k

BUT, you might want to consider getting a patent on it. I've never seen a product like it and it looks like it will work great. I'm with Richard. The wing nut will come loose. The type of lock down nut he pictured would be the best thing to use. Good luck with it. I do think you should send it in for patenting.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Patenting would be useless because I basically took the idea from trimmer trap, I made it slightly different because I didn't't have a welder so I had to come up with a new idea for it to slide up and down and then tighten. I know the wing nut its ideal, but there is lock washer in there and it is very tight even by hand. If I can find that type of skewer and make it work I will for sure. I was originally gonna use a large plastic type threaded knob thing, its my first one so I will improve it as needed, keep in mind its for the back of a truck, not a trailer, so it shouldn't bounce around as much as on a trailer. Sorry I wont be making and selling them. Its very simple to make. I will likely make a couple more for small wheeled equipment and some more other racks, etc. I'll be making a post in the spring of my fully outfitted truck, with trimmer rack, blower rack, backrack, tire cage, tool holder, etc. I own a trailer but using the truck only is much easier, plus I cut small lawns that even a wb wouldn't fit, lol

I took a piece of 1 1/2" metal and bent into that shape with a vice, hammer, propane torch, and then cut and drilled the vertical piece, I cut the channel with a grinder and the base is just a small piece of angle iron. Took about an hour or so and about 30 bucks in metal, but there is lots of metal left, so about 10 bucks in material. Hope that helps.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone.