Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2003, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Killing brush stumps

We "bushhoged" an area about 200X50. There are plenty of grassy weeds I plan to treat with glyphosate. There are also numerous stumps from brush (1-1.5 in in dia) What are your recommendations. The owner doesn't want plow the area do to erosion. The goal is to sow common bermuda this spring.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Banned

pbi vegatation killer
Old 01-08-2003, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best control of woody plants is with triclopyr. Many "brush killers" are just glyphosate (Roundup) and 2,4-D. If you can find triclopyr in a 5% to 10% concentration of acive ingredient, brushing this full strength on stumps will give you 80-90% control. If you drill holes in top of the stump, and pour the triclopyr into them, as well as brush the top, you will attain 100% control.

But how do you plan to have a lawn with 1Ĺ" stumps in it?
Old 01-09-2003, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Appreciate the information. As far as the lawn goes, the property is a vacant lot next to the client's commerical building. He's planning on expanding his building on to the property in the future and just want to keep the place clean in the meantime.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 1/2 inch is probably a little too small for this, but a good way to get rid of stumps is to drill holes in them, as deep as you can go, and pour salt peter into the hole. (or any branded stump remover). After a couple of months, pour diesel fuel in the hole and light a match to it. The stump will just smolder until it's gone.

Randy
Old 01-13-2003, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Brush killer

One of the better products out there is Tordon. I've had good success with it. We used to sell it, but don't anymore. I believe you can get it at Tractor Supply or a local Farm & Fleet store.
If you don't want anything (grass, weeds, etc.) use Sahara. Killer product. Will kill for the season!!

Tom
Old 01-13-2003, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be very careful with either Tordon and especially Sahara with respect to long term use of the property. These products will leave you with bareground, which might lead to some erosion problems. Also the carryover for future years may prevent establishing growth in the future as well. Over the years, I have seen some real problems with the use of ground sterilants.

Doug

Austreim Landscaping