Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
I love reading through these types of threads. The OP is getting his monies worth on this one. 419 is the easiest of all of the turf types I have taken care of.. You do not need a reel to keep it sharp and crisp looking and it loves the heat you just have to keep the moisture in it.
The guy wants to keep it at 1". There is no rotary that will compare with a reel at 1". Sorry, not happening.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
The guy wants to keep it at 1". There is no rotary that will compare with a reel at 1". Sorry, not happening.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree...I've tried both, even razor sharp rotary blades leave the leaf frayed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by cgaengineer; 07-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Skipster,
We can finally agree on something...............the cut height of this Tifway!!
Tifway cut at 3.5" is thin...the proof you will see if you cut 2" off of it and are now able to see the ground in between the plants. Bermuda prefers growing horizontal and it gets thin when cut high...it may appear to be thick but it's an illusion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

True if you are cutting on a completely flat plain. I said before, If a customer has a rolling, uneven lawn with obstacles such as roots,etc., it is best to cut taller. Taking into consideration our transition zone, weather fluctuations, and shorter summer, it is best to crowd out weed matter at cut heights of 2+ inches in the summer. Preemerge herbicides for broadleaf isn't always consistent unless you can shield the soil from harsh sun rays.
We all feel true to our practices but I believe these practices are site sensitive.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Well heck it won't but most folks do not have a turf area that is suitable for a reel mower(sprinkler heads, ground not level/smooth enough etc. the reel will scalp faster than a jackrabbit on a date lol). Plus you have the issue of clippings to deal with. 419 at 1 inch and my mower is different from most in that it has been modified with a larger jet, the RPM set up to 3500 (GXV160) with only Sharp blades used mowing every 4 to 5 days max can be very close sorry. Blade tip speed and using a very sharp blade mowing in low gear is the key to making it look good---I never had any use for Mr Nader and his restrictions!

Growing up I mowed every 2 days with the Manor 21 to keep the putting green perfect. Know a little about keeping turf perfect or as close as equipment and conditions will allow.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
True if you are cutting on a completely flat plain. I said before, If a customer has a rolling, uneven lawn with obstacles such as roots,etc., it is best to cut taller. Taking into consideration our transition zone, weather fluctuations, and shorter summer, it is best to crowd out weed matter at cut heights of 2+ inches in the summer. Preemerge herbicides for broadleaf isn't always consistent unless you can shield the soil from harsh sun rays.
We all feel true to our practices but I believe these practices are site sensitive.
So you believe tall Bermuda crowds weeds better than properly maintained (below 1.5") Bermuda? I beg to differ.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well heck it won't but most folks do not have a turf area that is suitable for a reel mower(sprinkler heads, ground not level/smooth enough etc. the reel will scalp faster than a jackrabbit on a date lol). Plus you have the issue of clippings to deal with. 419 at 1 inch and my mower is different from most in that it has been modified with a larger jet, the RPM set up to 3500 (GXV160) with only Sharp blades used mowing every 4 to 5 days max can be very close sorry. Blade tip speed and using a very sharp blade mowing in low gear is the key to making it look good---I never had any use for Mr Nader and his restrictions!

Growing up I mowed every 2 days with the Manor 21 to keep the putting green perfect. Know a little about keeping turf perfect or as close as equipment and conditions will allow.
Properly mowed Bermuda does not have a clippings issue...I never use my catcher...ever.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

With a reel mower?? Almost impossible to keep it looking like a carpet at the Shorter heights. Plus if you get rain or other issues that prevent mowing for 7 days you may have to deal with clippings. Have thought about going to a reel and would if I could!

Last edited by Busa Dave; 07-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
With a reel mower??
Yes, with a reel mower no catcher is used. I do have one, but it collects dust. I'm guess Diamond doesn't use one either, nor do companies around here that reel mow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Tifway cut at 3.5" is thin...the proof you will see if you cut 2" off of it and are now able to see the ground in between the plants. Bermuda prefers growing horizontal and it gets thin when cut high...it may appear to be thick but it's an illusion.
Posted via Mobile Device
The density (leaves per unit area) won't necessarily change. Of course, the canopy architecture will change, but the mowing height from 1" to 2" to 3.5" doesn't change the density. If you take bermudagrass mown at 1" and cut it down to 0.5", you will see he same thing. You're talking about canopy architecture and mistakenly calling it density.

No illusion here.

Last edited by Skipster; 07-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.